MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what the VIS valve actually does? Also, if it's playing up what happens if it's not fixed?

There's a rattle starting at the back of the engine, not much but it's there & she still pulls like a train after the magic 3,000 (I love tunnels.)

Don't know if it's the beginnings of the valve failure (was prepared for this when checking out the things to know before I bought the ZT.)

Steve.

ps. She was on 43,000 in Sept when I bought her, now she's
on 49, something.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Steve,
I have a similar noise on my 190, the rattle is quite persistant. I took my car down to the local X-part and the chap said that he didn't think it was a problem with the inlet manifold but that an 'oil flush' might help. My problem is that I don't know what an oil flush is, an allergic reaction to olive oil perhaps!
Sorry I can't be more helpful but this might bump your post.
Mark

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
the problem is IF it is the vis system it could just be one of the motors not doing its job (aout £50 a motor) if its the manifold slider its self it will slowely get worse and worse until the slider actually comes apart and sounding simialr to this thred
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=143194
if thats the case your best getting it sorted asap as stray bits of plastic flying into the engine isnt good !

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chilljohn & Mark,

my rattle is sooo not that loud chilljohn. Anyway, i finish my shifts Tue morning so I'll take the old girl to my local MGR garage & get an idea from them. Probably book it in straightaway, as I look after my cars, no expense spared etc.

Mark, do not fear: an oil flush is good for the engine, so I'm told, and should loosen any sticking bits.

Steve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts