MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, prompted by the 'oldest TF here' thread, here's a VIN number survey (just for fun) :)

Before i begin, i fully understand if people do not want to participate, after all it is an identifying feature of the car (like a numberplate - some people worry about these being on the forum and blank them out - same deal).

Only interested in the last numbers (not the SARR... bit), just to show the order in which they rolled off the production line. VIN number can be found by looking at the little plate through the windscreen, sited under the tax disc.

But, in case you are like me and these things don't bother you, please particpate by adding your VIN number and name (only) below:

1 ) Scarlet Fever - 4240
2 )

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
you need to use the last 6 digits, for a decent picture. but this doesnt always tell you a true story. As sometimes at a model year change they can just change the first digit of the last 6 to avoid confusion with other MGR models. but lets just see what results you get. I would recommend adding the year teh car was registered also to avoid confusion in case they did change them during a model year change.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
theres nothing dodgy about it!! the last 6 digits are meaningless for ringing cars. its the start that holds all the vehicle info. The last 6 digits could relate to a ford, renault...any car! its just 6 random numbers basically.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Haven't checked mine yet, but if it is visible through windscreen to see and read ,that's what i would call dodgy,if were talking vehicle security here, Dave

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
they put them in the windscreen for security. the idea is it makes the vehicle easily checkable and its another vin for a theif to change should he try and ring the car.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
dont they put them on the windows so people wont nick peoples window screens? i think if you car dosnt have it on you can get it etched on from the local plod station

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
the vin isnt actualy on the windscreen its on a panel just underneath and there is a window in the blackout on the screen itself which makes it viewable.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
some cars have etched glass then if the car is stolen and rung the thief has to goto the trouble of changing all the glass. you would struggle to nick a bonded windscreen and be able to reuse it

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
well the reason i no is cos ours was nicked! not from my tf but my fathers car had it nicked they also nicked all the other windows too! back windows the lot!

anyways back on topic of vin numbers i would go get mine but it seems to be raining outside ill look when it clears up! whos winning so far then?

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
deelunn said:
well the reason i no is cos ours was nicked! not from my tf but my fathers car had it nicked they also nicked all the other windows too! back windows the lot!

anyways back on topic of vin numbers i would go get mine but it seems to be raining outside ill look when it clears up! whos winning so far then?
sorry dee

I meant to reply to your earlier request to have Friday off work. Am I too late to say YES of course you can?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts