MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok today i fited the front ZR160 break set up i picked up from viking and blead the calipers and changed the fluid in the front pipes but i now have a pulsating vibration trough the stering wheel as i break.

the calipers are off low mileage car from the look of it and they are a matching pair the dicks and pads are in good condition.

the old rust layer hasnt compleetly been removed yet could it just be them needing to bed in a bit more to give a smoth surface?

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
possibly bought some warped discs. Is this under heavy braking or just normal moderate braking?

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
normal breaking about 30mph dies off at below 15mph

ill see how it go's then as the disks look in good condition without any discoloration if it continues after the surfaces have cleaned up guess ill be seing steveb for some new ones

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
ml.williams said:
normal breaking about 30mph dies off at below 15mph

ill see how it go's then as the disks look in good condition without any discoloration if it continues after the surfaces have cleaned up guess ill be seing steveb for some new ones
Get new disks, they won't improve.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Does sound like the discs are warped, what can also cause this is if the disc mating surface on the hub and the mating surface of the disc itself aren't 100% free of crud before you mount them.

A small area of rust/crud means the discs aren't running 'true' hence the vibes.

CAM

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
319 Posts
ml.williams said:
the old rust layer hasnt compleetly been removed yet could it just be them needing to bed in a bit more to give a smoth surface?
If there is surface rust on the disc then that will be the cause of the judder. You need to clean the discs with abrasive paper, something like 200 grit alumunium oxide, dont use emery paper as it leaves a residue. Then give the pads a good clean on a flat surface with 180 grit abrasive.

Bed the pads in gently, try travel on a quiet road using the brakes gradually more and more, avoid coming to a complete stop with your foot held on the brake.

Cheers gary :)

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
i suspect warped disc's too :(

i have the same 160 setup on my VI and after a rarther "enthousiastic" drive i developed a warp in the drivers disc.

i plan to take my disc's back to the dealers as if you ask me that is a absolute disgrace that my car should be able to warp a set of disc's that are designed for a heavier and more powerfull car.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Si said:
i suspect warped disc's too :(

i have the same 160 setup on my VI and after a rarther "enthousiastic" drive i developed a warp in the drivers disc.

i plan to take my disc's back to the dealers as if you ask me that is a absolute disgrace that my car should be able to warp a set of disc's that are designed for a heavier and more powerfull car.
What pads are you using?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts