MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone help me with this sound...

I´ve had to change wheel bearings before so I thought it was that again. It´s a loud and vibrating sound that you hear inside the car when driving. It gets louder and more high pitch as the car goes faster. It sounds a little bit like the wheels of an aircraft during takeof and landing.

The sound is not related to the engine as it´s still there when putting the gear in neutral and just rolling. Also it does not correlate with the rpm.

As I said I thought it was some wheel bearings but when trying to figure out which wheel it was it didn´t seem to be coming from any of the wheels at all. I hoisted up the two front wheels and a friend accelerated while I was listening. But from outside of the car I didn´t hear the sound as much as from the inside. And I couldn´t hear it louder when putting my head next to the wheels.

Any suggestions as to what this could be?

·
Registered
Starlight Silver MG TF 135
191 Posts
Perhaps worth trying lifting one rear wheel at a time, (with both fronts well chocked, of course) then spin up the raised wheel with an electric drill. A sanding disc or similar in the chuck, and press the edge of the disc onto the edge of the tyre will spin-up a wheel nicely. My guess is that something is loose and rubbing against the rear disc or drum.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps worth trying lifting one rear wheel at a time, (with both fronts well chocked, of course) then spin up the raised wheel with an electric drill. A sanding disc or similar in the chuck, and press the edge of the disc onto the edge of the tyre will spin-up a wheel nicely. My guess is that something is loose and rubbing against the rear disc or drum.
The sound was there when we lifted up the front of the car and spun the front wheels. So it´s not the back wheels. Nice trick with the drill though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts