MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just put some ZR suspension onto my Vi and was looking to compare my experiences with anyone else whose done the same....

The level of 'roll' in the corners has dropped notable and the car feels correspondingly 'firm' over a rough road at 30mph. Once the you get upto 60mph on a badly surfaced country road though I seem to go bouncing all over the place....

Is this about par for the course?

I'm still running the standard wheels with 185's so I'd expected it to be a little more complient at speed than it is....

The ZR dampers and springs came off a car which had already done 8000 miles so they're bedded in already...

So, anyone done the same?

DAVE

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I did that same to my Vi.

but I fitted 16" hairpin alloys with 205/45R16 tyres first, these made the Vi much more stable.

when I fitted the ZR suspension about a year later the car was transformed.

solid and secure handling.

the 185/55R15 tyres are simply not up to the job on the Vi.

also If you fit the X-Power springs it supposed to improve the the ride, and make the handling even more stable and secure.

http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/shop/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=664

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers.....

I've just been out in a ZR120 with 17 inch wheels and it feels 'bouncy' too, though in a different way which I can't quite pin down. Perhaps if was more stable generally but when it did hit a bump it really would launch you off!

also If you fit the X-Power springs it supposed to improve the the ride, and make the handling even more stable and secure.

http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/shop/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=664
Is PTP the only place you can but X-Power springs from?

Ta....

DAVE

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Cheers.....

I've just been out in a ZR120 with 17 inch wheels and it feels 'bouncy' too, though in a different way which I can't quite pin down. Perhaps if was more stable generally but when it did hit a bump it really would launch you off!

Is PTP the only place you can but X-Power springs from?

Ta....

DAVE
There probably more places, but for ease and the Guarantee you will get the right springs first time, Ptp would be hard to beat.

you could buy the Avo lowering springs, they cost less, but work very well with the ZR dampers, they lower the car even further though.

the choice is usally controlled by the speed bumps and multistory carpark ramps you have to use in your area, I for example would have gone for the X-Power springs due to the speed bumps on the main road at the top of my street, I could not have gone for the Avos, were as someone else may not have that problem.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The ZR setup can be upset a little on less than perfect roads at speed. If I drive down a certain bumpy 60MPH road near me my backside can breifly leave the seat.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
You've got to remember the springs are quite a bit stiffer and such you will feel more resonance through the cockpit. Softer springs absorb more of the bounce, whereas the ZR shocks and springs tend to resist it and transmit it through the cabin.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True....

I was just suprised that the car would be so 'dynamic'. A driving 'experience' yes, but not the one I'd expected....

I suppose they have to be damped to cover a range of loads in the car from a single person to the rather more hefty situation of 5 people and a boot full of luggage, so as a compromise it's not too bad....

Big roundabouts are much more fun now though!

DAVE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts