MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got word from somebody whom is spot on, Vauxhall plant in Meryside, its toast in the next 2 years for cert!

BTW did you see that Vodaphone are going to sack 500 from its base and DSF is to close a factory in Wales that make furature sacking 300.
Not good times ahead.
Mega

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Mega said:
Just got word from somebody whom is spot on, Vauxhall plant in Meryside, its toast in the next 2 years for cert!

BTW did you see that Vodaphone are going to sack 500 from its base and DSF is to close a factory in Wales that make furature sacking 300.
Not good times ahead.
Mega
Mega... Have you thought of how the looming "recession" is going to affect your business?

Afterall, how are people going to buy strut-braces for their ZRs off you when they have no jobs and no money to pay for them with? Wouldn't you be up **** creek?

Not good times ahead, indeed...

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
well i believe that manufacturing is now down to about 15% of our gross domestic product. I believe a recent report by the TUC suggested all UK manufacturing could be gone by 2030. At the rate its going Ill be surprised if it lasts that long.

Can this country really survive by just doing each others washing? and while I dont particularly want to be as glummey as mega, If you ask me this country is heading for a big disaster.

I must say I was very impressed with Airbus A380 when landed at heathrow the other week, quite a lot of UK engineering in it, but what do BAE want to do, flog their shares in Airbus.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Guid gweef! This thread has cheered me up summat wrotten...

:(

I'm even having twouble wiv my RRRs.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
If this is true, then it just shows what GM-Europe thinks of us when they allow their underproductive Bochum plant to remain open over Ellesmere. I think this just about leaves UK GM production to about... O%.

Forget IBC vans, they're part Renault anyway, that's probably why that hasn't shifted to Poland or Germany yet.

Favouritism or what?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I hope this is not true and is just part of some posturing for grants by GM who are trying to get a bidding war going however Mega is pretty accurate on this sort of thing.

I do not believe that Bochum has a long term future irrespective of Ellesmere Port as I understand it needs considerable investment and I doubt GM will make it.

The government needs to be working on a strategy to make Ellesmere Port and the UK irresistable for GM - the unions seem really energised to save this factory (as they should be) and deserve creative and concrete support.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Came across this recently from PwC:

Here is a list of car assembly plants in Europe that have shut down or announced they will close. Surely there must have been more on the continent than just two? People have mentioned Ford in Poland.

Company Plant Country Shutdown date
Fiat Rivalta Italy 2002
Ford Dagenham Britain 2002
GM Luton Britain 2002
Matra Romoratin France 2003
MG Rover Longbridge Britain 2005
Jaguar Coventry Britain 2005
TVR Blackpool Britain 2006
PSA Ryton Britain 2007
Source: PwC Automotive Institute/Reuters

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
GSi said:

Here is a list of car assembly plants in Europe that have shut down or announced they will close. Surely there must have been more on the continent than just two? People have mentioned Ford in Poland.

Fiat Rivalta Italy 2002
GM Luton Britain 2002
PSA Ryton Britain 2007
I think a lot of this is because on the continent it tends to be more of a drip drip approach - it would be more interesting to see net job loss figures which are likely to paint a very different picture

·
Registered
941 Posts
Mega said:

Mega
There's nothing wrong with reporting such bad news, but do you have to do it in a manner that makes it look as though you are enjoying it?

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
GSi said:

Fiat Rivalta Italy 2002
GM Luton Britain 2002
PSA Ryton Britain 2007
I'm sure if you go back a further few years you won't even see any continental factories in the list.

As it is, the so-called overcapacity is basically in the UK it seems. Dunno about the Rivalta factory, but the Matra one was only a fringe operaton relating to Mata itself.

If overcapacity IS an issue once all the UK plants have gone, only then will overseas car facilities start to go.

·
Registered
361 Posts
GM will be bankrupt in approximately 2 years; unless Vauxhall Opel are sold as a going concern, then all of their factories are likely to close in the next 2 years. To be honest, many new car plants in Eastern Europe will be closed within 15 years, few will survive. The reasons are simple - cars will then be cheaper to build in other countries as the living standards of Eastern Europe rise to the level of Western Europe, and building cheap cars becomes too expensive.

I was reading an articule in a Electronics Magazine the other day. Apparently this is already happening in the electronics industry in a big way. Plants recently opened in Eastern Europe are closing as is becomes cheaper to build electronics in China, where labour rates, taxation is even lower and where they can turn a blind eye to enviromental legislation.

As for a root cause, blaming Trade Unions is too obvious. More to the point is that many companies have a duty to make as much money for their shareholders. If they don't lower their costs, they loose stock value - it's as simple as that. As for lowering taxes, do we really want to stoop that low just to get what is now percieved as low value employement (i.e. manual labour) by many under the age of 30?

If we really want to stop our ecomony from crumbling, then we really do need to start building and selling products that people want and not letting others buy our businesses and then take the work elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
The root cause is the continuing evoloution of technology and economies. This is nothing new, economies have always changed in the past - if you compare what Britain did as an economy in 1850, 1900, 1950 and 2000 you will see big changes. The difference is that, as with most things, the pace of change is getting ever faster.

It isn't anyone's "fault" as such - the UK as one of the most open economies in the world tends to be on the leading edge of any fundamental shift but whether they like it or not other similar economies will have to follow soon. You can't play King Kanute for ever.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Plusser said:
If we really want to stop our ecomony from crumbling, then we really do need to start building and selling products that people want and not letting others buy our businesses and then take the work elsewhere.
But why are others buying our businesses? Simply because they frequently prefer to have their money tied up in the UK than their own economies. In many ways, we are a victim of our own success in this respect.

Why did Ferroval buy BAA? Simply because there is a wide expectation that the Spanish economy is about to go t**ts up any minute and they wanted to get into what is considered a better long term bet (i.e. the UK).

·
Registered
449 Posts
Maybe we don't need a manufacturing industry?

As long as people want to live and study here we can make money. But is selling stuff, wether it be consumer goods, property, skills, knowledge, finance etc enough to keep us all in jobs and the economy afloat?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Technology is not chaging as fast as many people believe. In the last 10 years microprocessors may have gotten faster, and people may use computers a lot more than they used to, but are they any more efficient? You only have to phone a helpline based anywhere in the world (it could be UK or India) and get the message "Press 1 for more menu options" to get a resounding "NO!".

Electronics are built to cost more than ever, to make faster computers the reliability has been reduced. In a world where money is king, and today's fashion accessory is tomorrow's commodity item and the day after's obsolete junk, there is no point in selling a quality product expect to last more than three years. We are so obssessed with personality and consumerism, yet the products we buy are increasingly built where the most profit can be made and the labour costs are at their lowest.

The number of companies that will sell electronics suitable for applications other than consumer goods has dropped dramatically. For example, in the Aerospace industry where regulation is very high (it has to be), development cycles for new aircraft are typically 5 to 7 years, with a life expectancy of over 25 years. If an electronic control unit for an aircraft is developed with the latest electronics, within 18 months it will be completely obsolete. On top of that the equipment would not be reliable enough and the aircraft owner doesn't want to replace his £50 million investment every three years. And believe me, without aircraft, globalisation doesn't work full stop!

However, there is one area of technology that this country could easily take a stand on, which could increase jobs and make a lot of money. The words are "Enviromentally Friendly Products". The US is trying to ignore it, the Chinese are busy trying to copy yesterday's technology and the EU are just wasting their time on deciding who should hold the pen while talking about removing trade barriers! The market for energy saving devices and enviromentally friendly methods of power generation is going to be huge within the next few years, as the costs of engery increase. These products are going to make money, but if you are going to wait for governments to provide the necessary tax breaks - forget it they are not interested.

Anyway, amongst other things I want my country back. We may no longer have a car industry after Rover Collapsed, and we may have the threat on the closure of Vauxhall and Peugeot plants, but we are a Nation that has an individual style and sense of being. If we don't want to stand out and make our own business (and care for it properly), then we had better hide behind the US or the EU - otherwise we will stand for nothing in a few years time.

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Go

Plusser said:
And believe me, without aircraft, globalisation doesn't work full stop!
Agreed, I wonder what will happen to air travel in 15 years time? I think it will nearly be over.

Fuel prices are rising every week and demand is increasing to the point of madness.

Aircraft chuck out tonnes of CO2 literally in flight. Aircraft flight is unsuistanble and yes we all like to go on hoilday but do we realise what we are doing to the world?

This is where I worry. How can the UK survive? We eat foreign food, drink foreign wine, use foreign electronics, cars, washing machines etc. If the globalised world came to an end we would be doomed.

Down here in the SE we are way to overcrowded to grow our own food yet the government keeps pumping more people in and in and in.

I think the government should start to think about these things otherwise we are gonna have some real troubles, and this will be in our generation. It will effect us. The collapse of the gloabalised world will be the biggest change ever inflicted on the human race, theres no point in ignoring it!
________
Toyota Zz Engine Specifications

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Why are you so convinced the globalisation is going collpase? Even if air travel reduces (or more likely the pace of growth reduces) would it really make much difference? The majority of freight still does not go by air and most business trips are at the pointed end of the airplane where frankly £1000 on top of the ticket is peanuts anyway. The market affected will be cheap shopping trips to New York and popping over to Australia to see the relatives.

The driver of globalisation is communication. You have no idea where in the world I am typing this from - it makes no difference. The world is so dependent on each other it is highly unlikely to collapse. Are we dependent on China? Possibly, but remember China is equally dependent on us.

The ironic thing is that the UK was the first country to view the globe as one big economy - ever heard of the East India Company?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts