MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for the amount of questions that I'm about to ask, but I've been storing them up :D

1. I have a nasty scraping noise coming from the front of the car. After having it checked, I was told it was the gearbox, and that there is nothing wrong, its just what Rover gearboxes do. If this is the case, is there another gearbox, or a sport / racing version that I would be able to fit cos the noise is driving me nuts.

2. I bought a set of Lowering springs, which I were told were for a 214. I tried to fit them, but the back springs are 1/4" fat at one end. Is this because I need change the shocks as well or because I have been sold the wrong springs? They are Spax springs, and I cant find a spax equivalent for shocks. Is there anything that I can purchase to solve this issue?

Yrs

Alex

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was checked by my local garage.

They already did the brakes about 6 months ago and say they are fine. I've never had reason to doubt them before.

Yrs

Alex

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ok at least it wasn't a mate that 'cheked it'. I am not sure what it could be unless I could listen to the sound it makes. Is it continious while driving...or just when changing gears?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Continuous whilst driving

Mostly noticeable in lower gears at lower speeds, and also noticeable when changing down gears, i.e. dropping into second to go round a corner.

Yrs

Alex

·
Registered
446 Posts
To be honest whatever I would say now would be a guess. So I would propose you to bring it to a second local garage. If they also say that it's coming from the gearbox, then you could either pick a cheap second hand one (plenty of R65s around) or recondition yours. A continious scraping from the gearbox could point to a shot bearing, that would explain the increase of the noise under load.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont know what Mk is it. I'm assuming II (K Reg 1993).

What gearboxes would fit in this car? I would like to shop around as I'm assuming a gearbox is a tad expensive.

Yrs

Alex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts