MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just noticed that the description of my LHD 2.0l diesel 75 in the registration papers is that of a 'van den plas'. I didn't realise MGR made any vdp's. Anybody else got this description on their document?

It could be that this was a marketing avenue that was never followed up on. I bought the car from MGR after the collapse.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I must admit i didnt know they done any , my ole dear had and austin allegro VDP , good motor never had any problems..........

Scandal ESQ

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Well is there anything bolted in your car that is different? the odd slab of Wood, Champagne bucket, anything?

Is it a tourer? if so we could assume the side windows were once filled in with tin - Van
The Previous owners name was Den
And Plas in Welsh loosely translated to English is Croft

So there you have it
Your car was originally a Van registered to a certain Mr Den Croft

Now we have a member here called Crofts so you have his old car..........

:2c:

OK now whats the real explanation?

:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sadly nutthin' strikes me as different from any other 75. It could be that they used the vdp name in other markets - it is a left hooker after all.

·
Banned
0 Posts
tonypandy was a south walian.
although it has to be said i do have his dry wit and im not that old :eyes: diolch (thanks) from memory he was called tommy twice due to his "order order" saying.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Dickie said:
I've just noticed that the description of my LHD 2.0l diesel 75 in the registration papers is that of a 'van den plas'. I didn't realise MGR made any vdp's. Anybody else got this description on their document?

It could be that this was a marketing avenue that was never followed up on. I bought the car from MGR after the collapse.
What is the 6th letter of the VIN? This is the trim level identifier. I don't actually know what the trim levels are for the 75, as I only have the ZT details, but I'm sure if you put it up here, someone else will wonder along and tell you what it equates to!

If nothing else, it will be interesting to know if, as you suggest, the VDP denomination may have been used as the equivalent to a UK trim level in another country (in which case the letter will match a common UK one) or is something different (in which case, I guess it will have its own letter)?

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Does it strike you that your 75 has a lot of leg room?

The earliest LONG WHEELBASE 75s are the Van Der Plas, which has its wheelbase extended by another firm. VDP 75 are all pre-facelift model.
Later on they make LWD 75 in the factory, the Van Der Plas name was dropped.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
andy said:

The earliest LONG WHEELBASE 75s are the Van Der Plas, which has its wheelbase extended by another firm. VDP 75 are all pre-facelift model.
No, it's no longer than standard, but I guess this resolves the issue. I suspect it was destined to be a LWB, but no orders were forthcoming, so it just stood around. I guess they would have only sent the vehicle to the coachbuilders if a firm order had come through.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Dickie said:
No, it's no longer than standard, but I guess this resolves the issue. I suspect it was destined to be a LWB, but no orders were forthcoming, so it just stood around. I guess they would have only sent the vehicle to the coachbuilders if a firm order had come through.
Maybe it had already been built as an LWB, and when they couldn't sell it, they shortened it again. You could have the first cut & shut carried out before the car even left the factory :rotflmao:

·
Banned
0 Posts
Query Results for "plas"

The legend with the abbreviations and conventions can be found in another file.

plas [-au, m.] (n.) hall, mansion, palace

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
andy said:

I think you mean Vanden Plas Andy - all of the 75's made by McNeille were called Vanden Plas. As you say latterly, the name was dropped and became 75 Long Wheelbase. When the facelift models was launched, they were renamed again to 75 Limousine.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
7T5 said:
Query Results for "plas"

The legend with the abbreviations and conventions can be found in another file.

plas [-au, m.] (n.) hall, mansion, palace
Now look you are messing up my reply :)
I know what it means I was just trying to inject a bit of humour so that when Crofts fires up his steam driven PC at about quater past bat we will have a few comments from him to read in the morning in between work breaks

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
IanRobertson said:
I think you mean Vanden Plas Andy - all of the 75's made by McNeille were called Vanden Plas. As you say latterly, the name was dropped and became 75 Long Wheelbase. When the facelift models was launched, they were renamed again to 75 Limousine.
:doh:
Sorry for the mistake + typo. My mind always tells me that VDP is a Dutch name.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Vdp

Sorry, bit late coming on this morning. Had a bit of trouble getting steam up but rarin to go now (all done with one finger !)
What do you mean "when I surface" I haven't been to bed yet !
The name your'e searching for is Van der Plonk, knew him well when I lived in Africa.
And, NO, I definately did not sell a car with tin side windows to anyone. However, to ramble on, my mind takes me back to Rhodesia, young kids and caravaning (couldn't afford hotels etc). Had a beautiful Wolsely 6/110 for pulling the caravan, all the wood, including door caps and cocktail tables in the back. Strong as an ox with a short rear overhang which made it THE perfect tow car. Unburstable 6 cylinder engine and truck like transmission (with overdrive). We used to drive from Salisbury (now Harare) all the way to Durban and the south coast. Best part of 800 miles with part of the trip to the S.African border in convoy with Army and helicopter protection. Reckon the weight of the Wolsely saved our skins when the caravan shed it's wheel on one trip. Will tell you more stories round the camp fire !
Anyway, what brings the above to mind. Well there was a Van den Plas version of the Wolseley with a Rolls Royce engine. Should have been an even better tow car than the Wolsely but it suffered terrible overheating problems when towing so was not popular.
Now cut and shut. Theres a thing. Better check my 75 in the morning.
Hope reading this doesn't extend your work breaks too long. What are they anyway, didn't have them 'in my day'
Oh yes, my Father's nickname was Dickie, short for Herbert !

Did you read that Keith. What no comment

1 - 18 of 18 Posts