MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone has stolen the black plastic ones I could replace them but would like a set of anti theft chrome with MG logo in brown with cream background cant find them anywhere anyone got a link. I`ve tried all the regular places the ones i like are perfect just dont come in Anti theft?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Col Ithink there the ones brown & gammons do a nice set but not anti theft very strange. Thx again. will contact seller as its ended :(

·
Registered
36,399 Posts
"anti theft" is a good idea - I had a set of MG valve caps nicked!

How does that work, then? Is there some sort of Allen key for them?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"anti theft" is a good idea - I had a set of MG valve caps nicked!

How does that work, then? Is there some sort of Allen key for them?
They just screw on mormally patpending with a little grub screw in the side which you tighten up with an allen key.

PS never overtighten though dont forget your screwing into brass which is a bit soft but at least it will stop the little buggrs nicking them :)

have a look

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150261762914&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I wouldnt bother with the ones on ebay.

We had them on the MK1 and the mg monicker on them discoloured rapidly and after a few months the chrome part was all pitted and they looked like tat.

DeMoNPauL

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldnt bother with the ones on ebay.

We had them on the MK1 and the mg monicker on them discoloured rapidly and after a few months the chrome part was all pitted and they looked like tat.

DeMoNPauL
Thx Christina i must admit they do look a bit on the cheap side, I was thinking that myself.
Thx for tip.
John.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I prefer the anti-theft ones that spin rather than the grub screw so they don't damage your valve threads.

Have their own key kind of thing, a tiny pin hole on the end of the cap and a pin inside the key to screw/unscrew.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I prefer the anti-theft ones that spin rather than the grub screw so they don't damage your valve threads.

Have their own key kind of thing, a tiny pin hole on the end of the cap and a pin inside the key to screw/unscrew.
Any links Skibbz ? never heard of that but sounds intresting.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

·
Registered
36,399 Posts
Thanks Skibbz. So these are better quality than the others?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I couldn't tell you to be honest, I was just reccomending them over the grub screw anti-theft version. I'm not sure if the price is actually reflecting the quality of the caps or a rip-off seller..

But when/if I come to get some valve caps I will most likely go for these, but atm I'm on a bench of whether to keep my car or not.

I think what you mostly need to look out for is what metal the caps are made out of as the weather can cause a reaction between the metals of the caps and the valves and sort of weld them together.
The valve is brass so I think you will need to avoid alloy caps, or ifyou do get alloy caps, give your valve threads a layer of copper grease or vaseline which will prevent the salty rain/roads chemically welding them together!

·
Registered
36,399 Posts
...I think what you mostly need to look out for is what metal the caps are made out of as the weather can cause a reaction between the metals of the caps and the valves and sort of weld them together....
Ray S has just made the same point, as Micheldever Tyres has added a new set of chrome ones to mine...
I'd get rid of the chrome valve caps before they corrode on and then end up needing new valves.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ray S has just made the same point, as Micheldever Tyres has added a new set of chrome ones to mine...
Thats why i wanted the B&G version Pat because they were chrome over brass so there would be little chance of corrosion, trouble is they are out of stock and have been on order for 3 months now and they dont hold out much chance of getting any more. with your new ones some copper grease or vaseline every month should keep the risk of corrosion away.

Cheers
John.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts