MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed today, when the engine was started from cold, there was quite a knocking sound coming from the belt end of the engine.

Are there any common problems relating to this ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You could do a search on VIS valve it could be the info you need
The vis valve would be more a ticking than knocking and shouldn't be around the belt area.

From what's being described, it could be a bearing failing. You mention the knocking when cold, does the sound go when the car gets warm?

I would be tempted to get it to a local garage for advice.

·
Registered
rover_75
73 Posts
From my experience with this it could be either the section of the exhaust from the manifold to the cat.(something to do with the double skin) or something cambelt related i.e . a tensioner.I had this prior to the belts being done on mine, when they were done the knocking disappeared.HTH

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
The cat or the intermediate silencer can break up but that is often a noticeable intermittent rattle rather than a knocking noise ditto if one of the inlet valves have broken off

Noises are tricky things to diagnose on a forum best take it to a knowledgeable garage

·
Registered
922 Posts
Noticed today, when the engine was started from cold, there was quite a knocking sound coming from the belt end of the engine.

Are there any common problems relating to this ?

Thanks

Does the sound go after a few mins from cold Andy?

And do you feel any vibrations when you hear the knocking?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've had my 75 connoiseur 2.0lt for a year now and I gotta say that it is the quietest, smoothest, finest damned car I ever had. I've never heard any knocking tapping or any other unknown noise. My only regret is that I waited so long to buy one!

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
the only ticking from my 190 is the erg valve (i think) ticking away to its self but the engine its self as has been said before is one of the quietest ive had , only my lexus gs300 has it beaten

it did tick a bit once when the vis valve failed and just before it fell to pieces it was a very loud mechanical type noise but after that was sorted all was quiet again!

did i imagine it or did someone say that they had a ticking noise on cold start up when they had used 0-40 oil but it went away when using the oem 10-40 spec ?

·
Registered
685 Posts
non vis probs in past posts, include poor initial oil pickup due to seal failure, and the recommendation to put hydraulic valve lifter additive in oil to quieten things. This was written up in mg enthusiast mag. Says the kv6 benefits greatly from some additive. I dunno. Mines always done it with perfect engine response.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts