MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Is it worth it to putting a full tank of V-Power petrol from Shell petrol station?
Not that i looking for performance but cleaning the engine and gives better economy?
(Notice: My car is 214si 1996 bubble shape)
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Agree with emps. You'll not notice any performance increase. The cleaning agents in the fuel will help remove crud from the injectors so it may feel as though it runs a little smoother after a tank full.

Redex is the alternative. Same kind of cleaning agents.

Rich.

·
Registered
30 Posts
V-power all the way! i used to have a old mk3 fiesta when i filled up with v-power i felt the differnce in performance and the ride was smoother. Its only a few quid more per tank, i use it on my 1.6 R25. Just treat your rover with it once a month or every pay-day. plus if you only use it once every so oftern you can feel the performance differnce.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
k series engines do not have a knock sensor so they will not benefit from a higher RON fuel

although it may feel smoother and clean the system out a bit

·
Registered
30 Posts
:err: did you pour some on the suspension or something?

alright alright have your fun. the v-power really did make the ride feel smoother, and i wernt the only one who noticed. my mate has a 1.6 VW bora and he says the same. tell you what, go and pick up a mk3 fiesta for £70 amd prove me wrong. :cj:

·
Registered
32 Posts
you would notice the performance on a turbo charged car defo as it has a higher octane rating my mate has a vxr astra and u can tell the difference but normal aspirated car nothing that noticable but yeah cleans ya injectors and stuff

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Higher octanne fuel will make the engine run smoother, but don't mistake that for any performance improvement in the K series. It doesn't have a knock sensor to start with.

And you can't go comparing the effect it has on one engine and translate that to another as it just doesn't work like that.

·
Registered
325 Posts
They tested it on top gear before and it only makes a difference in really high powered cars such as Scobbys or Mitsu Evos.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
It may not give a performance benefit, but regardless of that it certainly has other benefits well worth considering, I.E. better lubrication and cleaning agents. It's not only the higher octane that makes it a better fuel. It's a better engineered fuel.
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework...for_motorists/fuels/vpower/dir_about_svp.html

I have used this fuel in all my cars and the engines run spot on and do run noticibly smoother. I know this because whenever I have switched back to ordinary fuel the car isn't the same. There is no knock sensor on the K series however I do feel the ECU does adjust to the fuel after a few tanks full and starts to return better MPG and smoother running.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts