MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I recently got Power Steering fluid ('SLICK 50' I think...) for my '96 Rover 414 and as I poured it in I realised it wasn't red like the fluid from other bottle I had... when I looked at the old bottle it was Automatic Transmission Fluid.

From browsing this forum for five minutes, I now know I should be using Dextron IID ATF... but my question is, will the small amount I poured in (From just under min level to just under max level) damage the car at all? Will I have to flush the tank?

Thanks in advance,
Steven

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick reply Cirian, i've now bought the correct fluid... but will the Power Steering fluid I put in a couple of hours ago damage the steering rack if left in?

I didn't specify in my first post, I poured the fluid into the power steering tank, not the gearbox. Sorry!

Thanks again,
Steven

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I would if I put the wrong fluid it.

Drain out the old.

refill with right stuff.

give it a wirll.

Drain out.

refill.

bobs your uncle.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Whoa !!!!!

As far as I know that slick stuff is universal - have a bottle myself but never had to use it yet!! In the handbook (the one that came with the car) it says don't worry if its a different colour Pg. 90 at the bottom

The rason auto gearboxes are so picky is because of the clutches inside of them, the way the lining is bonded and the friction needed to transmit drive. Steering racks dont have these! Don't panic and tbh when I need to top it up ill use slick stuff as they are traditionally good

I think cirian thinks you put it in the gearbox in which case would be absoloubtly right as anything other than the exact correct fluid is suicide for above reasons !!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
So you put PSF into the power steering resevoir for top up? Absolutely no problem at all. It will be fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phew! That's a relief!

Just to clarify; I put SLICK's 50 Power Steering Fluid into the power steering reservoir, instead of Dexron IID Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated.
Steven

1 - 10 of 10 Posts