MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was about a year ago, give or take a month or two, that I bought my used MG ZS 120+ - A 52 plate, in auto with v.low mileage. I have covered 6,000 miles on all roads, from short trips to the shops to monster drives to Cornwall and back.

I thought I'd point out the things that I like and dislike, maybe helping used buyers of this model a little.

Handling - Point and go, very impressive and something I'm sure I will miss if I move away from MG in future.

Looks - A little tired now with the facelift model out but when it's clean and the 17inch alloys are gleaming it's still very attractive (to me at least)

Transmission - The auto box is very sweet indeed.

Space - Huge boot swallows all our luggage for trips.

Dislikes:
Power - 120+ needs more power really, after being impressed at first I find I'm used to the acceleration now. I'm sure the V6 is lightning. This is a little picky on my part.

SRS Light - Flickers on now and again. Easy fix apparently

Interior - Facelift model looks nicer, this older one marks easily and is now looking very dated.

Cabin noise - Alright it's not a Jag but the cabin noise is a little too much for me, better soundproofing would of made it a nicer environment.

Summary:

I'm tempted to upgrade to a ZT, at least test one, before I offload the ZS. I really like my ZS in many areas and would like to stick to MG in future.

G

·
Manor said:
It was about a year ago, give or take a month or two, that I bought my used MG ZS 120+ - A 52 plate, in auto with v.low mileage. I have covered 6,000 miles on all roads, from short trips to the shops to monster drives to Cornwall and back.

I thought I'd point out the things that I like and dislike, maybe helping used buyers of this model a little.

Handling - Point and go, very impressive and something I'm sure I will miss if I move away from MG in future.

Looks - A little tired now with the facelift model out but when it's clean and the 17inch alloys are gleaming it's still very attractive (to me at least)

Transmission - The auto box is very sweet indeed.

Space - Huge boot swallows all our luggage for trips.

Dislikes:
Power - 120+ needs more power really, after being impressed at first I find I'm used to the acceleration now. I'm sure the V6 is lightning. This is a little picky on my part.

SRS Light - Flickers on now and again. Easy fix apparently

Interior - Facelift model looks nicer, this older one marks easily and is now looking very dated.

Cabin noise - Alright it's not a Jag but the cabin noise is a little too much for me, better soundproofing would of made it a nicer environment.

Summary:

I'm tempted to upgrade to a ZT, at least test one, before I offload the ZS. I really like my ZS in many areas and would like to stick to MG in future.
I quite agree with you on your comment Manor. I have a 120+ and soon will coming up to 3 years. The car is still very attractive once cleaned and waxed and with the gleaming 17". I always felt the car needed an extra 10bhp but it still has a very good low end torque which pulls really well. I have a manual box and is quite slick. The cabin noise is abit intrusive on the motorway but as you said it is not quite a Jag.

Another point I am a little dislike is the lack of rear passenger legroom. For the size of the car the legroom is a little cramp at the back but then again I sit at the front.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're from Leics too sky?

I have a trophy blue ZS, 52 plate ending in XX. If you spot a dirty one, it's mine

:eyes:

G

·
Manor said:
You're from Leics too sky?

I have a trophy blue ZS, 52 plate ending in XX. If you spot a dirty one, it's mine

:eyes:
I'm up North Leics Manor, I will give you a wave when I spot you. If you spot a very clean one then is mine ;)

Happy Motoring :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good thread, this is the sort of thing I looked for before buying mines, so I hope it helps others in a similar situation.

Had my ZS 120+ about 6 months now, 52 plate 12K miles when I bought it now at 20K. Here's my view on it so far.

Decent performance for 1.8
Handling - SUPERB
Brakes - Decent enough for power
Nice close ratio gearbox keeps it on the boil at most revs
Sporting good looks (when clean)
Sporty exhaust tone
Feels solid enough build quality
No rattles or creaks
Reliable (so far)
Still got the standard 16" hairpins but I think they suit the car well
and attract most comments
Chrome exhaust tailpipe and exit
Big boot (4-door)
Economy - getting 38mpg mainly motorway driving

Dislikes:-
Windnoise, especially on motorway
Engine noise can sound harsh and intrusive at times
Plastic Steering wheel and gearknob (cheapskates)
4 door Boot not very practical compared to hatchback
Chronic pull in 5th Gear below 70MPH
SRS light coming on (cured with WD-40)
Flimsy rear bumper feels like its going to fall off when washing
Steet Cred - not great i think

My 2 previous cars were SEAT Ibiza CUPRA 20VT and UK spec Impreza Turbo,
so it's had quite a lot to live up to. So far so good though, it has not let me down and I am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Manor... I have done the opposite. Moved from a ZT to a ZS180. I can't recommend the ZT highly enough mate. Mines was a v6 160, and it was quick enough but after a while I wished I had the 190 (much like your situation I s'pose).

Wasn't as keen on the facelifted ZT (I did look at quite a few in showrooms), but as you say, the facelift ZS has done much to help the car. So, in the end after finding a good deal I bought the ZS.

I think you would enjoy a ZT... just go test drive one mate... the handling on the ZT I had was great (it had the sports suspension which apparantly became an option later)... it felt as nimble as a small/medium car but still had a softer edge than the ZS, so it was great on motorways too.

my :2c:

Andy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts