MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone help!

I pulled into the petrol station today and realised I had parked on the wrong side so I got back in started the car, when I restarted the power steering light came on and the power steering was off.

Any ideas what I can do?

Before I bought the car, the person I was buying off had the same problem and returned the car to the dealer and they said that it was a "chip". Anyway they said they only had to pull the "chip" out and put it back in and it was fine again.
Sounds like it could be the "chip" or "fuse" again and the dealer didnt do the job properly.

What shall I do?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm not sure which car you have. If it's the MGF then you've got Electronic PAS in which case your fuse may have blown (it's the big fuse on the inner wing under the bonnet on the right hand side (looking from the front of the car)). If you have a different vehicle then perhaps you could check the PAS fluid reservoir - otherwise you have a dealership visit I'm afraid!

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Reading the post again, it must be an MGF (it has an EPAS warning light)

Try the fuse, otherwise it is a dealer-only job to diagnose the fault with T4 ???

Have you got a warranty? I would imagine the EPAS parts to be expensive>=(

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
From memory, this fault seems familiar to me.

I think it has something to do with the EPAS ECM getting confused with road speed/engine rev signals. I recall it happening to an F we were MOT testing at the time.

I think there is a bulletin out about this somewhere....

The same happens if the speedometer looses its input (disconnected connector etc) We had this happen to a 160 Trophy.

I'd keep an eye on it and see what happens8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts