MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Both me and a mate are looking to buy a MG ZT 260.
Me the more basic 260 and my Mate the SE

We have test driven a few and test drove one last night...here is the outcome (Need quick replies please as still want to go and get this car)

The 1st 2 we test drove put a big smile on our faces, not blisteringly quick but bloody nippy.
The one last night sounded quieter on fire-up than the other two and when I floor'd it...gutless....
The 1st 2 04 and 05 plate but the old shape the one last night was an 05 plate but the face lift model.

My thoughts are that its in LIMP mode (Limp home mode)??

There is a problem with the Air Bag light comming on which the current owner is having seen too on Tuesday, could it be this?

But, and I'm not sure about this so bar with me...I thought there must be a way of getting fault codes and when pressing and holding down the Mileometor trip for a few secs got the following. I think these are fault codes but maybe wrong.

Each one between the lines below was displayed seperate after pressing the trip:-

_ _ 1.0

_00044

_ _1.1

_ _7628

2_1.2

AA013E

_ _0904

0_1.5

02_190

_ _ _ _

01_02_

Quite a few I know, it then goes back to the 1st one.

If these are fault codes does anyone have a list?

Also as the car is a fare few miles away we want to be sure that its cured before we set off to collect it Thursday. The Local Fiat /Ex Rover garage is where he is taking it and he is obviously going to mension all the code if thats what they are. If not than any other info would be great but time is of the essance!!

Looking Farward to joining the fun once again!!!!

Also any Good Garages that you can recommend in the BOLTON, MANCHESTER area once we both have our MGs for Parts/Servicing etc...

Cheers

Rossy

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thanks for this but just found it on here too...it does not realy tell me a great deal. It seems more of an imformation giver!

What I think I realy need to know is if the 260s have a limp mode...or anything else that would take all the power away!

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
228 Posts
OK, thanks for this but just found it on here too...it does not realy tell me a great deal. It seems more of an imformation giver!

What I think I realy need to know is if the 260s have a limp mode...or anything else that would take all the power away!

The codes you have found just give info , such as build date etc.

Most modern cars have 'limp home' mode. In your case check the ECU is DRY. If its swimming in water ,that could be the problem! See associated threads . Use the forum search for that.

If its not ECU, perhaps a crank sensor or air mass metre , all curable at a Garage that knows what to do.

Buy one and have Fun !

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers, the ECU in the boot spare wheel well with the Battary?

If so this is bone dry...the car BTW is 05 I HPI'd all ok and only done 9200 miles!!

Its strange, will have to hope the guy says the garage have cured...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Maybe the difference you're feeling is that between a run in engine and one with fewer miles on the clock. A lot of forumites say it takes 15-20,000 miles for these engines to loosen up. Mine has only done 12k so far, but does feel livelier than when I first got it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Cheers, the ECU in the boot spare wheel well with the Battary?

If so this is bone dry...the car BTW is 05 I HPI'd all ok and only done 9200 miles!!

Its strange, will have to hope the guy says the garage have cured...
ECU is in front of the cabin, did you check the the drains under the bonnet. That plus the sunroof will dump water into the ECU. (mk1's and early mk2's)

However lack of power will not be the ECU as the main reason. Also a tight engine would not be that noticable to someone testing the car unless you have driven one for a time. I would guess its a fuel/or air issue.

If the car was in get me home mode you would have dash lights telling you.

Cheers
Tim
The Two-Sixties

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Wrong Tim
Our ECUs are above the Glovebox we will never suffer drowned ECU syndrome like the lesser models do ;)

Rossy
You are not seriously thinking about buying an iffy car are you?
There are plenty out there to choose from several on Piston Heads so no need to rush. If the car is a private sale you are always welcome to bring it over here I can put it on my T4 and give it the once over.

If it is at a dealers then obviously they can sort it themselves somewhere.
The cars do run better with a few miles on the clock, the difference is noticeable but not huge.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is for a mate although I looking for one too...I have to sell or PX my SAAB.
I know its only got 9200 miles but this was a slug...there's no way that it was just a tight engine. Its a private sale and its at his local "fiat" ex rover garage tomoz to sort out the common Air Bag issue...
Another thought I had was if it had-had diesel put in it at some piont and the CATS are blocked..maybe clutching at straws but it realy did feel like it was being restricted in some way.
No light on the dash other than the air bag light..and the engine light bulb works as came on in pre engine start so maybe not "limp home" mode.
Still for the money and milage its got to be worth it if the poor performance is sorted.
I'm gonna ring him tomoz and see how it went on.

Thanks for the help, and wether we get it or not I shall post the outcome and the problem if they ever get to the bottom of it!!
Where are you Keith, worth knowing for the future!!
Take it T4 is the Diagnostic oogy wotsit thingy-mi-bob?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Really! that was unfortunate was it due to a badly routed sunroof drain then dripping on the ECU or were you in Scuba gear at the time as the water would have to be above the Instruments for it to get submerged :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Going looking at one tomorrow.

Any other know faults I should check other than..

1, Fuel Filter
2, Rad Hose
3, Air Bag light

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
5,472 Posts

1, Fuel Filter
2, Rad Hose
3, Air Bag light

You can't exactly easily "check" the fuel filter has a clip so for the sake of a fiver get one just in case.
The heater hose unless the owner was a member of two-sixties will almost certainly be oem so factor in £35 for a modded one.
Air bag lights are normally an easy fix but make make a good bargaining point.
Look at the drive belt there probably will be witness mark where it rubs but it should not be frayed.
Check if the diff had an oil change if not it needs to be done and then not again for 150k

Check for oil leaks under the car diff and gearbox check for any damage underneath, the cars are lower than the lesser models so can be damaged by an idiot

Take it over some speed humps in low gear any clonks?
If it has TC CC make sure they work ditto the sat nav be suspicious if the CD is conveniently missing.
check handbrake holds on a reasonable incline the handbrakes are even worse than the lesser models
Check the wear on the disk and the pads especially the rear as they don't have wear sensors.
Make sure the aircon really works and can deliver cold air. As with the ac off the cabin will get warm due to the proximity of the engine to the bulkhead so aircon is much needed if AC is luke warm and when set to econ the system is chucking out hot air then it is likely the mixer valve is internally leaking

These valves are probably only about £15 retail but xpart charge a lot more for them!

Check all the wheel nuts for damage these get undone a lot due to the short life of the tyres

Lastly the clutch is heavy and the gearbox requires skill to operate smoothly and quickly if you can't drive it you will make a hash of fast changes especially between second and third this is not the Gearboxes fault you will need to learn how to use it

The car will spin its wheels on roundabouts etc so don't go silly unless you have lots of room!

·
Registered
463 Posts

1, Fuel Filter (clip)
2, Rad Hose
3, Air Bag light

Aircon & heater
satnav disk is there and not a fake (SE)
fully charged battery

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
It was my good man. I also had a submerged control unit for the security part of the system which was picked up while dealing with the body control unit.
Damn! that's a pity but I still prefer where it is than in the Fish Tank with all the pond life, leaves, dead mice etc that seems to find its way in there

·
Registered
mg_zt
123 Posts
Blimey... That's quite a list there Keith.

I notice the wording "lesser models" feature quite a bit 'round here... Not that I'm jealous.... much..... :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts