MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car has been running fine until today, starting sluggish, windscreen wipers going very slow.
new battery fitted 2 weeks ago, now wont start just clicks very fast and nothing.

for last few weeks 1 in 20-30 times starting had nothing so tried again and it started first time.

battery light has been flashing fast for a few days goes off when going round corners so maybe short.

help!!!!!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
tasker said:
car has been running fine until today, starting sluggish, windscreen wipers going very slow.
new battery fitted 2 weeks ago, now wont start just clicks very fast and nothing.

for last few weeks 1 in 20-30 times starting had nothing so tried again and it started first time.

battery light has been flashing fast for a few days goes off when going round corners so maybe short.

help!!!!!
You'll need a multimeter and you'll need to get the battery charged up first. ashy found a cheap multimeter in Maplins for £5, so that's your first point of call, then your needing to check the alternator output is above 12v, so get the car going with the battery fully charged and hold the multimeter across the battery terminals, you'll probably want to set the multimeter for 100volts and check that the voltage across the terminals is 12v or more.

If the alternator isn't the problem and it's not the battery, then your looking for a short somewhere, first point of call is the earth and the wires on the starter, make sure they're all tight and not frayed. After that it's a case pulling all the fuses, and starting to check each circuit and see which ones are drawing a current. Could be tricky if the problem is only occuring when your cornering though. Is your fanbelt nice and tight ?

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply nick
battery was load tested before being replaced by two people both said duff battery alternator ok.

i thought possibly short as the light flashes whereas it would be on all the time.

belt is fine, all connections tight so only thing left is a short somewhere.
would go tonight i have to be at the airport at 5:20 tomorrow morning, lucxkily it is only 3 miles away.

the clicking when i try and start it goes on for ages after turning off agin.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
tasker said:
thanks for the reply nick
battery was load tested before being replaced by two people both said duff battery alternator ok.

i thought possibly short as the light flashes whereas it would be on all the time.

belt is fine, all connections tight so only thing left is a short somewhere.
would go tonight i have to be at the airport at 5:20 tomorrow morning, lucxkily it is only 3 miles away.

the clicking when i try and start it goes on for ages after turning off agin.
The clicking sounds like the starter solenoid, there's enough power in the battery to engage the starter but not to actual turn the engine.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
tasker said:
can you point me to it or is it more likely something else
It'll be something else. The solenoid will just click when your trying to start the car with a flattish battery.

If you get the car going and you run it for say 30 mins, switch it off, what happens. Will it start straight away or will it still need to be jump started ?

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sat for 20 mins (when it eventualy started, it seemed to try and finally catch) ran fine no probs then turned off and nothing just clicking.

even when it is running the wipers are very slow, the windows seem slightly slower but the lights are fine and the car if anything is running better then ever at the minute.
i do need to replace the lambda (not connected to this problem i know) but apart fromthat no tell tale signs of battery problems.

i have noticed that the tickover has dropped to below 1000 lately (i think the sensor will cure that)

as i said earlier the only tell tale has been the battery light )which hasnt been on for about 3 days now) and the occasional time i have to start it twice.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
tasker said:
sat for 20 mins (when it eventualy started, it seemed to try and finally catch) ran fine no probs then turned off and nothing just clicking.

even when it is running the wipers are very slow, the windows seem slightly slower but the lights are fine and the car if anything is running better then ever at the minute.
i do need to replace the lambda (not connected to this problem i know) but apart fromthat no tell tale signs of battery problems.

i have noticed that the tickover has dropped to below 1000 lately (i think the sensor will cure that)

as i said earlier the only tell tale has been the battery light )which hasnt been on for about 3 days now) and the occasional time i have to start it twice.
It sounds as if the alternator isn't working properly or it's not charging the battery, could be a faulty connector outside or inside the alternator or it could be a fault with the alternator where it's generating enough but is discharging at the same time, or has an intermittent fault. Not all alternator problems will make the battery light illuminate.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i will get an electrician friend to take a look tomorrow but i think it is pointing more and more to the alternator.
thanks for your quick response and answers

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Sounds like a loose conection somewhere or a dodgy alternator. Are the connections from the battery to the alternator nice and clean and tight?

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
checked all taken off the battery connections, cleaned them and tightened up.
will take the alternator out tomorrow and check it luckily my bro is coming home he has a 45 and the neighbour has two 416's so parts a plenty

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
tasker said:
checked all taken off the battery connections, cleaned them and tightened up.
will take the alternator out tomorrow and check it luckily my bro is coming home he has a 45 and the neighbour has two 416's so parts a plenty
Rover 416 will probably be a different alternator to a 420.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Rover_King said:
Rover 416 will probably be a different alternator to a 420.
They are different, but there's plenty of old T-Series engines floating around so finding an alternator won't be a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts