MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have I really got to t pull half the car apart to take the radiator out?
The air intake tube is in the way, and as far as I can tell, to remove this, the headlight has to come out, but catch, as far as I can tell...the blumin whole bumper has to come off.

Is this what makes Rover so great, do I really have to do all the above?
I'm now thinking ... bring back the good 'ol sierra,'cause it's a lot less bother!!!!!!!!

all the best ...Mark

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi, i changed mine the other day, took the air box and battery out but left the cold air feed on and pulled it round to where the battery was. took 1hr total.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it all does not matter now.
As the radiator they sent was the wrong one ..too short with top hose coming out of the side and not the front .
I just went to my local car parts shop and apparently they made two different types, a long one and a short one ....

I ordered it over the phone from bypartsby .......and the difference wasn't mentioned to me .

So it will have to wait till next weekend now.

What I was going on about

The sierra was well thought out , any parts that I had to swap and change on it ........there was no work involved in taking off the parts.

everything was so easy, I've been spoilt .......even the heater fan was a ten min job on the sierra...and most other jobs including engine out and cam belt, I can honestly say that any of them were not that involved.

My other cars that I've had that were rover .........big lot of messing about involved ....land rover was the worst .......followed by my stag.

it's as if the sierra was well thought out and designed by a guy who thought about it.

I have to take the engine out of my 400 soon........now that I've had a taste of the 200, I'm not that enthusiastic..I must say :(

all the best...mark

·
Registered
27,730 Posts
c+hanged my rad Thursday Piece of cake once you undo those blasted hoseclips

yes I know a 216 is different to a 420

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know whats happening .
it's a 96 1.6si mk3 (P) bubble ........and according to the rad core dimensions it .........it has a mk2 radiator in it.

Maybe that's why I'm having trouble .
Did rover use up parts from previous production ?

Or has some back street garage ...done a swap..in times past

The new radiator is going to be swapped for a mk2 now.
The one with the top hose connection facing forward...
The old is roughly (core) 522mm long and 420mm ish high....the height measurement is uncertain ..as the core does end in metal bars ...confusing !

The old rad is about twice the weight of the wrong rad that was supplied the other day.

Does all this sound right .

all the best..mark

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Mk3 bubble 200?
It took me 20 mins to change mine and that was taking it easy. Very simple task even a monkey could do it...no offence Mark.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
My mk3 214, took me about 20 mins also.

Removed the hoses and took the rad out from the top. Is there a different setup for the 216? (I highly doubt it)

The only thing that was missing from my car was the OE cold air feed

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YES .....I could well change it in twenty mins ,if i wanted to be rough...and damage the fins.

I'm telling you ....this rad will not go in and out without some damage ,if i do not remove that air pipe ..
read above... it's non standard.

All the best..mark

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
aboard_epsilon said:
YES .....I could well change it in twenty mins ,if i wanted to be rough...and damage the fins.

I'm telling you ....this rad will not go in and out without some damage ,if i do not remove that air pipe ..
read above... it's non standard.

All the best..mark
Well if that's the case then it has been bodged before, so why worry about damaging the one you are taking it out as long as you are putting the correct radiator it should have in then the air feed won't even be an issue.
It's just a simple case of removing the fan first and then the radiator.
In any case when removing the old radiator the air feed will push out of the way.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
aboard_epsilon said:
Mate look, the radiator you have in is obviously the wrong one unless you have a diesel.
Even so once you undo the top mounting brackets the radiator will simply lift up out of it's mountibg holes and can then be manouevered about from left to right. As far as I remember there is plenty of space to the left to move the radiator over and lift out past the pipework.

Now unless you have a REALLY big radiator and air conditioning I can't see it being that much of a problem.
Give us some pics so we can see for ourselves if it is.

If you put the correct radiator back in then the procedure will be a cynch.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The replacement that is coming is the same as the one coming out !!!

To change back to what "should or might" have been there ...would require different hoses ££££

Here Endeth... the conversation.

all the best...mark

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
aboard_epsilon said:
The replacement that is coming is the same as the one coming out !!!

To change back to what "should or might" have been there ...would require different hoses ££££

Here Endeth... the conversation.

all the best...mark
Suit yourself, but as far as I can gather there are 2 types. A short one with hose coming out of side for a K8 and a longer one with hose coming out of front (same as mine) and for a K16.

Conversation ended. Good luck. ;)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
aboard_epsilon said:
ACCORDING TO HERE

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/radiators_display.php?txtmodel=200+MK3&Submit=Next&txtmake=ROVER

the 1.4 rover has both small and large rad

the 1.6 here only has the small rad.....unless its got air con or auto trans

these are the people who im dealing with.

and that is why a mistake was made or they have the facts wrong ...or something else ..i dont know

all the best.mark
As far as I can see there is only one radiator listed on that site for your car which is - VAL-731815.
Unless you have a VVC or air conditioning there is no other listed for your car.

I would get them to check their part numbers.
The 1.6 and 1.4 radiators are the same for the K16 and have a core size of 430x395 and the Rover part no. is PCC001180.

The 1.8 VVC uses the larger radiator with a core size of 520x395.

They also have the same radiator listed for the K8 and K16 models. Now unless the official Rave manual is talking ballerks then they are not the same radiator.

I will send you the diagram if you wish.

Which part no. have you ordered? If it's VAL-731816 then it's the wrong one.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The radiator that is in the car is the 520mm one .
and there is a 520 by 370 OR 395mm one coming in the post to replace it with.

The larger one they list on that site is only for a 416 with automatic transmission or air con ...
they do list a larger one and a smaller one for the 1.4 without air con or auto .......they only list the smaller rad for 1.6 with no air con or auto...go figure

The original core of the old rad measures 522 x 420..........i don't know what to make of all this ...probably rover messing about with their parts bins.

i do have rave and parts manuals ........but i was relying on buypartsbuy .....to know what they were talking about .

all the best..mark

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
If I'm looking ast the same site then they only list one for the 1.4 without aircon which is VAL-731815. The other is with aircon.

Oh well I guess it's too late now to change it. maybe it was changed in the past by some other bodger. Or your car is a very early version that did in fact use this radiator.

In any case aside from all that. I don't think you will have trouble removing the radiator even though it is bigger. As I have said once the top mounting brackets are undone it will then simply pull up a touch and then you can move the radiator to the left and away from the air feed and then pull it out.
You may have to remove the fan first though.

Anyway you will know from taking the old radiator out how difficult it will be to get the new one in.
Let us know how you get on with it Mark.;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts