MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE help. Ive tried to change the head gasket (again) of the 214 SLi 1992 16v today. Can't seem to get the head off as it is stuck. I tried rocking it with the two bars mentioned in the Haynes manual but no luck. Can't turn the engine over to break the seal as I can't move the crank. HG was changed by a garage 18 months ago. Usual symptoms of HGF, no water in oil. Everything stripped down, just the head to come off. I have a HG set but need to re-use the head bolts as I've run out of money and desperate to sell the car. HELPPPP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yep, got all the bolts out. Could it just be the weight, I have left the inlet manifold on with all the goodies (injection gear) on it ? But then again I've tugged like hell to get the head off and it seems to be pulling up on the block.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Well I've never had a stuck head before - but again, it could be stuck fast on the steel dowels that locate the head to the block.

Don't be tempted to prise it off with a screwdriver between the two faces, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Helpppp !

Head is still stuck solid, could there be anything else that could hold the head this tight? Things are now desperate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If the garage that did the HGF last time used some sealant then that could explain the stuck head and the reason the gaskets gone again. try bolting the exhaust manifold on leaving the downpipes off then from under the car place a bottle jack or a trolley with a brick on it under the manifold and gently jack the manifold up till the head breaks its seal. Dont go mental though!

·
Registered
74 Posts
get a nylon mallet, or a hammer and a block of wood against the head. Strike it from the side, one blow on each side of the head, the impacts should be able to break any seal, or any rust on the locating dowels.

Have you removed the back of the plastic timing belt cover? as this is bolted to the block and would prevent you removing the head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts