MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mad,

Here's a sneak preview of your new set of uprated steel caged gearbox bearings, the same as i've had fitted into the gearbox i've just had inteligent tuning build me along with a torsen diff which i collected today from their workshop/unit down in Sandycroft near Chester. Should be fitted along with my new kevlar clutch by this Wednesday in time for Cosford.

For anyone else interested in a set of these uprated bearing plus new seals your looking at £170 plus shipping unless you can collect them yourself, Just Contact Inteligent tuning directly and Andy or Neil i'm sure will be more than happy to help.

Point of interest for some, on the round trip to collect the gearbox from Chester and back i put £20/19.63litres of Bp's finest diesel extra into and totally empty tank and managed to get 203 miles out of it so an average 47mpg with a hybrid turbo doing mixed 50/50 driving from 90mph+ on the motroway to 40mph trundeling along A roads so quite happy with that really made use of the torque keeping the revs as low as possible as much a possible and certainly not holding up traffic.

Cheers Mark.

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mmmmmm, bearings.... *drool*

You might notice the new box whines ever so slightly, don't worry, it's quite normal for a steel caged PG1. Most uprated boxes seem to do it, certainly the ones I've had. :)

Stuff it full of MTF94, and you'll probably never have to think about anything gearbox related for a loooong time! :D

Anyone who wants to see just what goes into uprating the bearings themselves should look at http://rover.odin-haller.de/gearbox.html , a nice pictorial breakdown of the process, work was done on a 220 T16 turbo, but the gearbox parts allpy equally to us. :)

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
thanks donny, looks sweet. and fuzz thats a sweet pictorial, very nice to see a nice clean box. hopefuly i'll get a run in ures at cosford see whats its like

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I have a spare PG1 gearbox off an HHR 420GSi. What if any differance will there be between that box and the one on my ZS TDi? I fancy getting one of those bearing sets and upgrading it if its got the right internals and keeping it as a spare. With the torque that my engine produces, I carn't see my box lasting the life of the car.
Jim

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim,

Any way of identifing the gearbox, do you know the actual box is spec code wise, i mean apart from just been off a 420gsi, is that the 400 with a turbo (t series engine)? if so it should fit and be upto the job but the ratio's will be to short, good off the lights but crap on economy!

So in 'short' not really any good unless your doing traffic light grandprix's!

Cheers Mark!

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Cheers Mark..
I was hoping as the Gsi was posh it would be high geared. Still worth keeping as the last PG1 I took for rebuilding had a knackered casing (the bearings were loose in it) and I can use that casing if the same thing happens to my diesel PG1.
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts