MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty folks,

Since I've had my car (TF) I've had a noise coming from the front suspension. Originally I thought it was the brakes, however after some investigation I discovered that it is the front upper suspension arm mounting point. When I brake the front of the car makes one clunk as the arm hits the subframe, then when I accelerate again it must reset itself ready to clunk the next time I hit the brakes! I've checked the manuals and it appears to be a roller type bearing in there, I've tried putting in more grease to the bearing through the grease nipple, however this does very little. Also when you take the wheel off and try and wiggle the brake disc you can see the movement in this joint. I was just wondering if anybody else has had the same problem, and if so what you have done to fix it, before I start ordering new bearings! Oh meant to say its the same on both sides, and the cars done 30K miles.

Thanks for you help,

Ian

·
Registered
734 Posts
Until a techie comes along with a more detailed answer, IMHO I guess this bit is the oldest part of a TF. The design has not changed that much from a Mini top suspension arm, which then evolved into a Metro. There are 2, sometimes 1 lateral thrust washers to consider as well as the 2 roller bearings. It may be down to lack of regular greasing in the past. There is no adjustment. If you are sure it is "worn", not brake pads moving, or something else, then the job itself it comparatively easy. The tricky bit is relieving the tension on the spring!!

It used to be a regular MoT dodge to pump up the bearings just prior to a test.
Noises are deceptive and difficult to track down. If in warranty - dealer job.
Just my thoughts!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for that folks, the car is still (in theory) under warranty till sept, might try it and see what they say. I've had it in before for the same problem, but they claimed it was the pads moving, which it definately isnt, (typical McHargs!) although to be honest I might just do it myself, at least then I know what is going on with my car! too many bad experiences with them before!!!

Thanks

Ian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.