MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI JUST GOT MY rover 620 ti, a very nice car indeed hav,nt had the same feeling after getting a car since , i got my first big car a senator many moons ago for me at the time the rumble of the 3 litre engine was fantastic, but the adrenline with this beastie is great much lighter feel, more responsive and a mint interia perhaps i have finally moved out of the banger league LOL.

MY QUESTION
IS about upgrades as this is defernitly the sort of car i would want to spend money on i was thinking of a stainless steel exhaust i,ve seen one on ebay new for £225 is that good ? i have a dump valve comming and a thingy to boost the psi sorry it,s late LOL .

The bloke i baught it from had renult 22 turbo which he said was running at 250 bhp so did,nt really want to spend any money doing it up to the same standerd etc etc he did mention that the turbo on the ti could be swapped for a more powerfull one is this possibal ?any other advice would be great, bear in mind my knoledge extends to going to garage and asking them to fit whatever i get !!!! thanks jason

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yes you can upgrade the turbocharger to anything with a t25 exhaust flange, t28 for example. Not going into too much detail because turbochargers come in many different flavours with different flow characteristics. The standard t25 is a bit wheezy at high revs but unfortunately if you wer hoping to crank up the boost your options are pretty limited and you need to heed caution. In standard trim they are modulated to run 6-11psi it is recommended that you do not exceed 14psi on standard internals. MEMS boost cut will prevent you doing this anyhow. You can bin the BMC for a dawes type device (mechanical boost control) which will see you hit a desired boost level (eg.11psi) all the time. Would not suggest you use a bleed valve as these are prone to spiking. Would also strongly reccomend you purchase a boost gauge if your going to fiddle with boost (there is a spare nipple on the back of the inlet manifold you can plumb one into) btw - you do know the t25 has an internal dump valve? take off the air box and use a cone filter and it is audible.

welcome to t16 turbo power.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi mate i thanks for the info i got this of ebay ,,
FSE Power Boost Valve Rover 220/620/820 & Turbo,,
is it what you are talking about ? and is the boost gauge to show me boost levels etc ?
are they easy to fit ?
about the cone would you recommend any and know were i could find one ? with these bits plus a stainless steel exhaust could i expect a noticable differance in performance ?

thanks again jason

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi mate just another question what is the differance between the standerd turbo and the t28 i see from some searches that they can go from £200 to £400 is it costly to fit ?

·
Registered
702 Posts
standard turbo is..well smaller. Turbos come in diff sizes T25, T28, T30 etc etc The bigger the turbo the longer it takes to spool. but the bigger punch its got, smaller turbos spool faster but run outta huff and puff faster. :) good technical terms there :p
The FSE valve is NOT a MBC its totally different, take a look at some other websites, or just type in Mechanical Boost Contorler in google, you will find ass loads of info and different options.

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
Rain said:
standard turbo is..well smaller. Turbos come in diff sizes T25, T28, T30 etc etc The bigger the turbo the longer it takes to spool. but the bigger punch its got,
really? so why does the Garrett GT28R spin up faster than my T28? same size turbo and all.

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
doubt it. as said, there are different flange types etc to worry about. T3's will need modifying to fit. Your best bet is the T28 off a Pulsar or an Nissan S14 (follow the pattern? lol)

·
Registered
299 Posts
To reiterate what steve said. How the turbocharger inserts into the exhaust system of any vehicle varies, different manufacturers use different fixing configurations. Rover uses a t25 exhaust flange (the other popular style is T3 - as seen on fords, volvo's etc.). You can buy a "better flowing" turbocharger brand new or source one secondhand. Inccidently nissan use the same configuration on their turbocharged cars (200sx,pulser, some skylines). Noticed i said "better flowing" earlier on rather than bigger. Bigger does not necessarily mean better. Smaller more efficient turbo's (e.g. garrets new ball bearing range) will out perform meatier turbochargers. flowing more air with less spool time. It's all about matching the flow characteristics of a particular turbocharger to your engine. Think of a turbo as a windmill. You can build a massive sail, but if there's only a brisk breeze it will struggle to turn, on the otherhand a small sail will whizz round happily. This is why it is very important to match the turbine end of the turbocharger to the waste gases coming out of your engine. This is often neglected for the big snail attached on the other end to it, i.e.the compressor. There is no point in having a whooping great big turbocharger capable of flowing enough air for 400bhp if your never going to see 400bhp.

Don't be deceived and think your going to get a massive power gain. This is only possible by strengthening the engine and remapping to raise boost. For a modest gain at top end (where the t25 struggles to flow) then a t28 will suit. The garrett GT series are the mutts nuts if your buying brand new. Otherwise a used nissan 200sx s14 t28 (very important it's s14 the s13 uses a t25) will do the job nicely or the pulser t28, tho this has a bigger turbine and is more laggy. They will need alterations to fit too.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Steve220 said:
really? so why does the Garrett GT28R spin up faster than my T28? same size turbo and all.

Mate i was just saying what i know, and what ive been told, of course you can get different turbos with the internals are all different, like you said, im just trying to explaina point thats all.

If i was to get technical like that id have to start explaining about ceramic fins and blah blah blah, i was just talking about the basic thing. Soory if i didnt clarify that. my bad.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks dan for the link,thanks also bubble turbo, you said

"Don't be deceived and think your going to get a massive power gain. This is only possible by strengthening the engine and remapping to raise boost. "

is that a costly undertaking ? what sort of money should i look to spend and do you know any places near hertfordshire or london that could carry out the work ???

being a novice it seemed quite resonable just to wack a bigger turbo on but i soppose nothing is that simple LOL.

On another amusing note i had my first drag race today LOL THIS RATHER MINT LOOKING GOLF pulled up next to me on the lights and i could just sense they wanted show off !!!! l,m sure the wheels alone on the car cost more then i payed for my TI So it was with the greatest satisfaction that i gave them the biggest ass whooping they have probably taken in a while LOLLOL They were on my left at the start then dissapeared whimpering in my wake ,,

·
Registered
299 Posts
jason if you don't mind getting your knuckles rapped then id say do it yourself and your learn a whole lot faster too. A used nissan turbo will set you back £150-£250 depending on age, condition and mileage. To fit you basically strip down the front, bumper. lights, rad, fans, exhaust manifold off, pipework off old turbo. The compressor housing will need rotating 1/4 turn and you will need to source an oil union which you obtain from http://www.speedflow.co.uk/ and finally you will need to remove the studs from the nissan elbow side (rover uses bolts) then it's plug and play. About a day's work.

a few pics of my t28 going on to give you a rough idea here.
http://www.roverpower.co.uk/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=472&posts=19

consider strengthening engine only if you remortgage your house, forged pistons alone are £800 +, then you need to think about fueling. you could consider large front mount intercooler, cold air feed/filter and free flowing exhaust before going down that road.

Add me to your msm, im not too far from hertfordshire.

Jon

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cheers mate for the info, i think trying to fit a turbo is abit beyond my scope at the moment but i will certainly look out for nissan turbo. I really like a stainless steel exhaust as well with decat etc could you point me in the right direction,,my email is [email protected] cheers jason

·
Registered
42 Posts
Steve220 said:
Because the GT28R uses ball bearings rather than floating journal bearings which have lower friction, quicker spool-up, but are more expensive to produce.

·
Registered
702 Posts
haha im sure he knew he was commenting on my comment on hoe bigger turbos take longer to spool. Tho i was just talking on regular turbos but oh well.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I went from a T25 to a T28 and here is the result at the same boost level. Small loss below 3000 rpm, nice gain above 3000rpm. Slightly more lag (about 400rpm) so 12psi was hit at about 2600rpm for me.

I managed to get a T28 built that bolted straight on so that avoided a fair bit of work although it was more expensive. Didn't need to change any pipes.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts