MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
Yep, you'll need the 16" 160 style alloys for them to fit.

To check if you have ABS, open the bonnet up and if you have a "lump" sat on the left hand (as you look at it) wheel arch, you have ABS. I don't on my 03 135, so it wasn't standard then. It's nice, as you get more room under the bonnet for stuff ;)

But you don't need ABS for them

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, the 160's are on their way already. established that from the previous threads, just gonna pop down to have a mooch for ABS?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
As far as I gather it is a question of simply swapping calipers/discs and bleeding the system.

However, as I have a full hub assembly I will just chop them over :)

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Stampy said:
As far as I gather it is a question of simply swapping calipers/discs and bleeding the system.

However, as I have a full hub assembly I will just chop them over :)
yep, plus fitting a set of wheels that will clear them otherwise you will be going nowhere.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Good job I have a set of 160's on order!!! :eek:P

However, Magik wheels despatched them for next ay delivery on Friday - and I still havent recived them. If they are not here by 12 tommorow they have said they will chase business post for me. Not too sure what to do about the £30 charge for next day delivery though - any ideas?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
You'll have to try and claim it back from the courier, although you may need some sort of 'proof of postage' from Magikwheels to prove the delay was down to the courier and not Magikwheels.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Recently fitted some APs and 304mm discs to a friends' F - it's a very simple proceedure, the most complex thing being the brake fluid bleeding afterwards.

Method
- Release handbrake
- Chock rear wheels
- Loosen wheel nuts on the front
- Jack up front of car and secure on axle stands
- Undo (err, 10mm i think) lower caliper bolt
- Rotate caliper upwards and remove pads
- Undo pair of (err 13mm i think!) main caliper bolts to remove it from the hub.
- Clamp the brake hose
- Undo brake hose
- Remove caliper assembly
- Using an impact driver, release the 2 retaining screws on the disc
- Using a small lump hammer bang the disc around the hub (rotating the disc) to free up any corrosion, use a crow bar behind the disc in combination to get the disc off (this is a poxy job!)
- Remove old disc
- Clean up hub with a wire brush
- Liberally apply copperslip to the disc mating surface on the hub
- Slide new disc into place and secure with (new!) retaining screws (not 100% necessary i feel)
- Bolt new AP caliper into place on the hub (they are handed, bleed nipples upwards)
- Bolt the brake hose into place
- Release brake hose clamp and check for leaks
- Use copper slip on the back of the pads and insert into caliper
- Insert top retaining pin through caliper and pads
- Insert top of retaining plate
- Fold plate downwards and insert second retaining pin
- Using a small hammer and a block of wood, tap pins home
- Fit road wheel
- Lower car to ground, tighten wheel nuts

- Repeat for other wheel

- Bleed brakes
I think this is a three person job, one to do the bleeding, one to monitor the reservior and top up as necessary and one to pump the brake pedal. Start at the nearside rear, then the offside rear, then the offside front, then finally the nearside front.

Try the brakes, repeat bleed proceedure as necessary.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Why release the handbrake Andy?

It has no effect on the front wheels.

Also MGR (and Dr Dave) recommend that the discs are fitted dry.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,299 Posts
cjmillsnun said:
Why release the handbrake Andy?

It has no effect on the front wheels.

Also MGR (and Dr Dave) recommend that the discs are fitted dry.
I was wondering that as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
And drive carefully for a few hundred miles, just had mine done and sailed serenely over the white line at some traffic lights even knowing to be careful!

Colin.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
petevick said:
something to do with brake fluid I'm guessing.
The handbrake is cable and spring controlled isn't it. Unless you were changing the rear callipers i don't see as it's necessary. I'll tell you soon anyway, as i'll be changing mine by the end of the week hopefully.

Kris

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Stampy said:
Good job I have a set of 160's on order!!! :eek:P

However, Magik wheels despatched them for next ay delivery on Friday - and I still havent recived them. If they are not here by 12 tommorow they have said they will chase business post for me. Not too sure what to do about the £30 charge for next day delivery though - any ideas?
Mate, our company uses business post, what a bunch of cowboys. about 4 weeks ago we sent a bonnet up north. It got there next day... except some prat had drove a fork lift truck over it. Obviously it was of no use to the customer, and it was the only one we had in!! 4 weeks later and we have only just been given the refund!!! This is not the first instance. There is all sorts that go on there. In fact our local pick up driver (nice chap), told us never to write 'Fragile' on any of the boxes, as they test how 'Fragile' they are when they reach the depot by lobbing them about.

Kris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts