MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a new instrument panel with message centre to upgrade my existing unit and add trafficmaster from SMC. I contacted my local Rover dealer to have this fitted and they claim I also need a new ECU. I'm sure all I need is the instrument panel. Can anyone recommend a dealer to do this work near to CM19 in Harlow Essex or RM13 in Rainham Essex. Time Tees Cars are the ones who said I need a new ECU.
Cheers everyone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have just bought a new instrument panel with message centre to upgrade my existing unit and add trafficmaster from SMC. I contacted my local Rover dealer to have this fitted and they claim I also need a new ECU. I'm sure all I need is the instrument panel. Can anyone recommend a dealer to do this work near to CM19 in Harlow Essex or RM13 in Rainham Essex. Time Tees Cars are the ones who said I need a new ECU.
Cheers everyone.

I'm interested in buying one of these . so i if anyone knows the answer it would be appreciated before i spend the money

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
158 Posts
message centre

HI You do not need a new ecu but the new speedo etc needs to be programed to your car by a dealer with a T4 unit Iam about to do the same when I can drive again after my heart attack but it should not be any problem Regards Andrewmsteve

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
There is Darlingtons in Harlow which should be able to do it for you. Check www.xpart.com for more details ;)

The only things that you need to upgrade, is a new instrument pack, which you have bought, together with the left hand stalk (With the button on the end). Once fitted, they need to be configured on T4.

I had this done on my X reg Rover 75 1.8 Club, as it only had the regular instrumentation - not the hi-line instrumentation.

As far as I'm aware, it won't work correctly if you don't have a new, unused, instrument pack. I think there are issues with the mileage side of things - my brain is a little rusty on this.

Keep us updated as to how you get on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ian
I tried Darlingtons in Harlow and they refused to do the work in case something "goes wrong". I see you are located in Essex. Who did yours for you? If within reasonable distance from me I will give them a try.
Cheers
Alan.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Hi Ian
I tried Darlingtons in Harlow and they refused to do the work in case something "goes wrong". I see you are located in Essex. Who did yours for you? If within reasonable distance from me I will give them a try.
Cheers
Alan.
Sadly, I used Beadles of Dartford who are no longer an MG Rover dealer, they changed sometime in 2002/2003.

The only other place I can think of is either Swan Coachworks in Basildon - Tel: 01268 533993. Geoff is the Service Manager there, and used to work for an MG Rover main dealer. They are an XPart Service Centre.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
HI You do not need a new ecu but the new speedo etc needs to be programed to your car by a dealer with a T4 unit Iam about to do the same when I can drive again after my heart attack but it should not be any problem Regards Andrewmsteve
Hello Andrew I wondered where you had gone, are you on the Mend?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Suggest try Motorline Nissan who were Whitehouse MG Rover who took over from Beadles in the Dartford Area.

They still have the MGR kit (inc T4) and service MGR cars.
Mine has been serviced there for the last two years.

I have spoken to them on the phone and they can and are happy to do the work.

Tel: 01322 280025

565 Princes Road , Dartford DA2 6HH

Its about 1 mile from the Dartford Crossing.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Retro fitting message Centre Clusters getting it done!

I was going to post a new thread on this but seeing as this one is on the boil

I need to say something here troops as since people have started selling these I have been receiving PMs on the subject.
Most of the info you need on this install I provided in I think CDTis thread elsewhere some time ago
Recently people have started asking me to fit these for them my replies have been along these lines

"Sorry xyz but that is the sort of thing on someone else's car that I don't intend to get involved with.

I know what to do and have advised others accordingly but there are risks attached which I am not comfortable in taking on someone else car as I would not be in a position to put things right if problems developed

I suggest for this job you go to a dealer so that if in the albeit unlikely event they screw up they would be responsible for putting it right."

I.e what I am saying is factor in and get a quote from your local Dealer with T4 so you understand what the full cost will be before you buy. Also be aware some dealers may not want to code a cluster to your car if they have not supplied it themselves etc unlikely but check first.

Sorry to sound grumpy but I only charge a nominal amount for my time on my T4 and that does not allow for fixing someones car if I get over ambitious and take on something I shouldn't

Now before you all panic you just need to be aware of some possibilities e.g

Nothing really horrible could go wrong but obviously costs will be involved to someone if a cluster fails to code to a car or fails in service shortly afterwards as although the seller will probably exchange it, the new one would still need recoding at another £50-£100 or whatever the dealer charges a time

Hope that clears things up

Now just to echo what was said earlier in the thread a lot of service reception type personnel probably have no idea what is required and might waffle on about other ECUs etc but the reality is a new IPK can be coded to a car without need for any other parts in fact I believe an IPK with up to 100 miles on the clock can be coded without problem any more than 100 miles and the milometer will not tally

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
David many thanks for that contact. I will ring them Wednesday morning to arrange things. I will keep you all posted as to progress.
Regards
Alan.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mg rover dealership in dartford area is now called motorline nissan 555 princes road dartford we do nissan (unfortunately) MG-ROVER and skoda we still have the equipment for working on rover 75 /ZT.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The IPK saga continues. After a period of being skint I finally got round to trying to have my new IPK fitted. I contacted Motorline Nissan of Dartford as recommended above to be told they can't no longer do this kind of work. Apparently they still service Rovers, but don't take on work requiring T4. Has anyone had this done recently within 50-70 miles of RM13 0r CM19. It's begining to get beyond funny now. What would happen if the car developed a real fault that required T4 to sort out. Is it time to sell it and move back to Peugeot?
Regards
Alan.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Billions of places out there will be supporting the cars for many years to come

All you need to do is go the the Xpart Website and look up your nearest XPart service centre

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pity you're not in the Manchester area as i've just had a new IPK and stalk and trafficmaster fully fitted and programmed for £35.... i think most peeps in the area are aware of the guy that does this. So if u fancy a run out..........haha.......... it takes about an hour to do. Pm me for info if you get to your wits end looking.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Keith,
"All you need to do is go the the Xpart Website and look up your nearest XPart service centre". Not quite so easy. I have been to 3 Xpart dealers so far. One wants circa £600 to replace the engine ecu and goodness only knows what else. One wants the car for at least a day because it's a long complicated job that may require a new ecu as well and the last one I contacted today said they could fit the ipk, but the mileage would be zero because they can't upload the old mileage to a new ipk. They said when they fitted ipk's to Rover 75's under warrenty they had a mileage of zero and the service record was updated to say a new ipk had been fitted. I am going to ring Swan Coachworks in Basildon tomorrow. A trip to Manchester is looking more likely by the day.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would like to add my experiences here.

A new IPK and second hand stalk was purchased from SMC-Trading.

I checked that the pack worked in the car and fitted the stalk. No problems here except that the unit needed re-programming to the car to get the various displays working, so I replaced the old unit expecting the garage to want to do extract some data from the old unit before fitting the new one. I left all the fasteners out to make it a simple change-over.

At the garage, they just asked me to fit the new IPK and they simply plugged-in T4 and in less than 10 minutes the new one was programmed-in. According to the garage, the vehicle mileage data is stored in the key fob (which is an intelligent item). If this is the case, maybe it is possible to reprogram an old unit.

Finally I have added the Traffic Master upgrade, which works very well.

The only down-side to the whole story was that the 10 minutes on T4 cost over £60 (their standard one-off charge for a session on T4).

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
662 Posts
According to the garage, the vehicle mileage data is stored in the key fob (which is an intelligent item). If this is the case, maybe it is possible to reprogram an old unit.
It's been reported that the data is stored in the immobiliser unit, rather than the key (though the two are matched).
The only down-side to the whole story was that the 10 minutes on T4 cost over £60 (their standard one-off charge for a session on T4).
Some places may charge for half-an-hour, others for an hour.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If the data is stored in the key, then surely it would be possible for the data in both keys to be out of sync. I think the garage engineer/mechanic is mistaken.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts