MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Upgrading front speakers?

Morning all

Currently my 45 is fitted with the MG Rover standard slot loading head unit, front speakers with seperate tweeter and 2-way rears. The front speakers are standard oem fitment, the rears I changed for Alpine SXE 1725.

I would like to change the head unit for a H&B CA-5555 which I had fitted to my previous car, it plays CD/MP3 and has an SD slot & USB port, plus subwoofer and amplifier outputs. However it has been suggested that I change the front speakers. So question is what do I change them for? Can I fit 2 or 3 way coaxials, would that work with existing tweeters or do I need to look at components, replacing the tweeters installed in the mounting pods? As for budget if I am likely to get a decent result then maybe up to £60 or more if I can get something better for a few £s extra. Recommendations are most welcome :)

I think the front speakers are 17cm/6.5", maybe someone here can confirm that?

I listen to various types of music, rock, metal, 90's dance, dubstep, drum & bass, all kinds....

It must also be said I have never fitted door speakers, so if the install can be as easy as possible it would help greatly. I'd like them to fit in the standard place behind the Rover grills. Electric windows are fitted.

· Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More research done, seems mounting depth without adaptors is 48mm. I read on a thread that BMW Mini adaptors will fit and give more depth, but cannot find anywhere that states how much extra.

Alpine SXE-1750s components should be a straight fit, without needing an adaptor and are around £40.

Alpine SPE-17SF components which I have only just found are 38mm deep and are around £85.

Infinity Reference 6520cs according to some sellers are 48mm deep and others state 65mm, but they aren't listed on the Infinity web site anymore so can anyone confirm who right and who is wrong? The Infinity Reference 6030cs which are listed I worked out to be 54mm deep. Both around £80.

Another option would be MB Quart RUA 216 which I think is only 42mm deep and found on Bassjunkies for £55.

Any thoughts on the above or recommendations for other brands/models to look at?

Now prepared to push budget higher if need be.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.