MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I have noticed that the brakes on my "98 214Si are not very good at stopping the car quickly. The pads are going to need replacing soon as the are pretty worn and i was wondering what i could upgrade to.

I have 17"s on the car and the current discs look pretty small. How much would it cost to upgrade to bigger discs (on the front)? If this is too expensive would upgrading the pads make much of a difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well apparently Rover have stopped people from getting after market brakes, you could perhaps get the fronts from the ZR 160? but im not too sure on that...but i think you could...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would the brakes from the 160 fit easily? - am i right in thinking that they would be alot better?

·
Registered
702 Posts
they can stop me fast enough :p and Steve B has them on his car with a beast under the bonnet so im sure they would stop a 1.4 couple that with a nice set of pads.

Again im not too sure about the swap over cause im not a Guru :p wait for Major or some one who knows a bit more about it :) i just know the 160s are the next step up for alot of people.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rain said:
they can stop me fast enough :p and Steve B has them on his car with a beast under the bonnet so im sure they would stop a 1.4 couple that with a nice set of pads.

Again im not too sure about the swap over cause im not a Guru :p wait for Major or some one who knows a bit more about it :) i just know the 160s are the next step up for alot of people.
Thanks for the quick reply mate

If these would fit it would be ideal - anyone have an idea on price.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The ZR 160 brakes are a straight enough swap. Just change callipers, disks and pads.

Saying that though, I have never had a problem with the brakes not being strong enough... They suffer from brake fade, but the vented setup will fix that.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
It is only the aftermarket 160 discs you can't get, all other Rover (or actually Honda) discs are available. For a 214 the easiest and cheapish option is to get vented discs from a Vi or the like, these are the same diameter but will afford better braking due to less fade.

Steve

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve B said:
It is only the aftermarket 160 discs you can't get, all other Rover (or actually Honda) discs are available. For a 214 the easiest and cheapish option is to get vented discs from a Vi or the like, these are the same diameter but will afford better braking due to less fade.

Steve
How much money am i looking at here? (for both vi and zr160 brakes)

I just found out that i need to change both pads and discs (pads are worn and discs are warped slightly). Are the 160 discs bigger than the Vi ones. (the ones on at the moment look a bit too small behind my 17"s).

Thanks for info guys :rocker:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Yes you do need new calipers for both conversions, it is easier to get hold of Vi calipers, or any 200 1989 on that had vented discs. Expect to pay about £60 odd for the Vi calipers, and at least £100 for 160 calipers.

Discs for the Vi can be bought fairly cheaply from aftermarket sources, 160 discs currently have to come from MGR, though I will have some grooved ones soon ;).

The Vi discs are 262mm in diameter (same as yours), and the 160 discs are 282mm, so do look better behind 17's.

Steve

·
Registered
55 Posts
brakes

i was thinkin of doin the 160 conversion but sayin the 160 disks are bigger will i need spacers or to relocate the caliper higher???

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi.

What prices am i looking at for the Vi conversion and the zr160 conversion?

Thanks for the help :bgrin2:

Has anyone got any pictures of both types so i can compare looks

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeh i just saw it in the for sale section and contacted the guy selling them - that is for other bits as well as the front discs but may consider doing the rears as well for that price.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
19,225 Posts
alright matey

might be able to help you on this one dude, if you conntact si (thats his username) im sure he has a set of s**t hot brakes for sale. if not theres always michaelperrin who's always great help for sourcing bits

and if i remember rightly there a straight swap :xmas:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts