MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my first post and all, hope I will receive some useful advice, which I can act upon.

Basically, I have a late 99 Rover 600 Auto, 85k, service history, which I bought exactly one year ago for £1600 (and had they timing belt done before I took delivery).

Just had the MOT done and sailed through. However, as ever, I seem to get itchy feet for a new car after a year or so. And hence at the moment I am seriously considering 'upgrading' to a 75. I only do about 9k per year, nearly all business mileage consisting of a weekly/bi-weekly 300 mile round trip, with the rest of the time I use the train and work from home (and use my girlfriends Yaris 1.3 SR for knocking around the doors in).

Question is, given the 600 is perfectly Ok is it really worth moving onto a 75, is it 'that' much better?

My head says keep the 600 but my heart says, after being at uni for 6 years and now having a decent job, I should treat myself!

To that end I would be looking at adding up to £2k to the 600 so that may be £3k in total (given may get £1k trade or slightly more private sale), I am thinking along the lines of a decent spec 2.0 V6.

Look forward to hearing people's views.

~sTe~

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Treat yourself. You will not regret it. As good as you think the 600 is, you will notice a big difference with the 75. The build quality is poles apart.

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
451 Posts
Treat yourself. You will not regret it. As good as you think the 600 is, you will notice a big difference with the 75. The build quality is poles apart.
I would agree - yes, treat yourself, you certainly won't regret it. However, I don't think the build quality is poles apart. I had a 600 for 6 years and it was an extremely well-built car, which basically did not show its age at all, and I only hope my 75 turns out to be anything like as reliable.

I upgraded to a 75 CDT Tourer last year, though, and there is no doubt that it is the better car in most respects. It handles better, rides better, is quieter, and has much more of a feel of luxury about it. You feel pampered driving it, and it is a great car for doing long distances in.

Go for it, I say!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Perhaps it's luck of the draw, but the old 600 company car I used to drive was poor build quality with poor fitting panels and loads of rattles. It was the turbo diesel and in one year alone had to have 3 new turbos fitted.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
600 75

I Had A 1998 600 Sli For Seven Years,it Never Let Me Down Engine Wise,i Think Window Regulators Cost Me The Most.

At 63 It Was Achoice Of Keeping It For Next Seven Years Or Changing, The Wife Said Get A 75 So I Checked With Longbridge Sales And Bought 2004 Cdti With 11600 On Clock.

My Son Is Running The 600 Now And He Has Almost Paid Me For It, He Is Also Happy.

Get A 75 You Will Be Impressed.

Regards

M22 Ken

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the vote of confidence on spending my money so far!

I have to say that I really like the look of the 75, especially the interior which looks (at least) 10 times better than the 600!

I should add that the 600 is due an annual serivce and (at the end of the month) road tax, so this would be around £250.

My only concern is that I may not get a decent 75 for £3k!

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Welcome slickster.

I've had a 620SLi Automatic in the past and found it to be a great car - reliable and comfortable.

The 75 is a real step up and feels a world apart. You should be able to get a very reasonable 75 for £3,000.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've just been scanning the trader and have come up with 3 possible cars of interest:

2001 51 Reg ROVER 75 2.0 V6 Club
4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 51,000 miles, Metallic Silver, MOT-02-2008, 2 Owners. Air conditioning, Climate Control, Alloy wheels, Electric windows, Electric mirrors, Remote Cenral Locking, Power assisted steering, ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Computer, Driver airbag, Head restraints, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Rear armrest, Radio/Cassette, Side airbags, Rear headrests. £3,150.

2000 W Reg ROVER 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur
4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 94,216 miles, Metallic STORM SILVER METALLIC. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Electrically adjustable seats, Head restraints, Heated seats, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Rear armrest, Remote locking, Side airbags, Rear headrests. Insurance Group:11, FULL SERVICE HISTORY CAR £2,595.

2000 W Reg ROVER 75 2.0 V6 Club SE

4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 48,000 miles, Blue. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Head restraints, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Rear armrest, Remote locking, Radio/Cassette, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Colour Coded Bumpers, Remote Central Locking, Wood Dash Trim, CD Multichanger. 12 Months MOT,Very Clean Example £2,495

What's peoples thoughts on these. Anything specifically concerning about these. Perhaps something about needing the belts done at 90k?

Are there any issues with the automatic gearbox? I really didn't mind having an autobox on the 600, but am not adverse to getting a manual 75.

Thanks.

Edit: Incidentally I came across this one http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...ry=cars&channel=DEALERPAGE&id=200719283835489 but I thought there must be something wrong, with it being top spec and really cheap. I thought it may be advertised incorrectly but an email reply indicates that the price is £3250 as described (and not £4995 on the windscreen and which seems more realistic)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Don't rule out the diesel. Not as fast as the V6 but a relaxed and smooth ride and plenty of MPG. Higher mileage is not quite so important either.

Some examples from Auto Trader

1999 ROVER 75 2.0 CDT Club SE 4dr

Price:
£2,895

Features:
  • 124,000 miles
  • Manual
  • OCEAN BLUE
  • Diesel
  • 4 Door Saloon
  • V reg (1999)
Full Description:

Manual, 124,000 miles, MATALIC OCEAN BLUE, BLACK AND GRAY UNMARKED INTERIOR, SPOT LIGHTS, ALLOY WHEELS, ABS, MULTABLE AIR BAGS, FULL ELECTRICS PACK, DUEL CLIMATE CONTROL, REMOTE CENTRAL LOCKING C/W TWO KEYS, 10 MTHS MOT, 3 MTHS TAX, FULL SERVICE HISTORY WITH LOADS OF BILLS, BMW DIESEL ENGINE, 550+ MILES TO A TANK, NO FAULTS, PRIVATE OWND AND IN FANTASTIC CONDITION WITH NO DENTS OR SCRATCHES (SHOWROOM CONDITION) NON SMOKER.

2001 X Reg ROVER 75 2.0 CDT Club SE

Price:
£2,995

Features:
  • 130,325 miles
  • Manual
  • SILVER
  • Diesel
  • Saloon
  • X reg (2001)
Full Description:

4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Diesel, 130,325 miles, Silver, 1 Owner. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Head restraints, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Rear armrest, Remote locking, Radio/Cassette, Side airbags, Rear headrests. Insurance Group:10, £2,995

2001 ROVER 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur 4dr Auto

Price:
£3,000

Features:
  • 128,000 miles
  • Automatic
  • SILVER
  • Diesel
  • 4 Door Saloon
  • Y reg (2001)
Full Description:

Automatic, 128,000 miles, Silver. ABS, Air conditioning, Alarm, Alloy wheels, Body coloured bumpers, Central locking, full leather, BMW Diesel Engine, Full service history, V good cond inside/out, taxed 6 month / MOT November. £3,000

2001 ROVER 75 Connoisseur 2Litre

Price:
£3,200 ono.

Features:
  • 69,000 miles
  • MANUAL
  • GREEN
  • DIESEL
  • Saloon
  • Y reg (2001)
Full Description:

BMW Deisel, 69000 Miles, green, full leather, wood trim, electric seats, electric windows and electric mirrors, air con, 12 months test, 6 months tax, very nice car.. £3,200. ono

2001 51 Reg ROVER 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE

Price:
£3,250

Features:
  • 110,000 miles
  • Manual
  • BLUE
  • Diesel
  • Estate
  • 51 reg (2001)
Full Description:

5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Diesel, 110,000 miles, Metallic Blue. Insurance Group:11, power steering, central locking, electric windows, electric mirrors, full black leather interior, on board computer, twin airbags, multi functional steering wheel, heated seats, electric seats, alloys, roof rails, front fog lights, wooden inlay, centre armrest console, rear headrests, Nokia Car kit, radio/cassette, cd changer, multi functional steering wheel, 1 owner from new, full service history, MOT December 07, looks and drives well.

Get a Club or preferably a Club SE or even better a Connoisseur/SE for the best trim and options. For a full list of spec (albeit for the tourer) follow this link

http://www.mg-rover.org/sections/rover/75-tourer/

Fitted with a Rover Ron box to get ~ 150 BHP, it would become a quick mover.

·
Registered
97 Posts
slickster,
you will not regret changing from a 600 to a 75. I had a 623 auto a few years back and although a good car, not as good as the 75.
I see you are looking mainly at the 2.0 V6. I'd suggest either the 2.5 V6 or the CDT(i).
It's a heavy car and to my mind the 2.0 V6 is a bit on the slow side.
If you can, go for the Conn SE spec. Has everything you'd need.
Tom

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
anglaslt - I'm not sure a CDTi conn SE is in my budget! (of £3k)

In the figures (from parkers...) the CDTi is 'slower' than the 2.0 V6, but I guess real world driving it may not feel that way.

2.5 V6 apparently has very similar (again according to Parkers figures) Mpg as 2.0 V6, but, although I have 7 years no claims, will cost me £100 more to insure (with it being in group 14 vs 11 for the 2.0), and I cannot see any decent ones within budget and within 100 miles.

Needless to say I will obviously have a better perspective once I have driven them!

Isis - Thanks for those examples, although looking on the trader they are all (apart form the last one) over 150-250 miles from me and the first three are private sales (and given my tax runs out at the end of the month I could do with trading otherwise I will need to re-tax it). I'm sure that there must be something of an issue with that final one as parkers has it valued at nigh on £5k (although with less than half the mileage)

One question that puzzles me is the lack of a CD player in lots of them! Is it simple to fit one? I mean I don't even own a cassette anymore!

I found the two I mentioned on ebay too.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=180108412029&rd=1&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=220110602222&rd=1&rd=1

Anything I should specifically look for/ ask about if I go to view?

·
Registered
179 Posts
there was last week a nice cdt 75 for sale on www.rovertech.net mate think was up for £2500 and did belong to one of the mods so should be good condition

I swapped about a month ago my 620 ti for a zt-t 190 and wouldnt go back, the zt is 200% the better car just miss the old boost :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Slickster

That Conn SE Tourer did look like a bit too much of a bargain but it might be worth checking out. The basic engine is nigh on bullet proof and the things you have to watch out for are the fuel pumps (yes there are two), the MAF, cam and crank sensors, the air con/cooling fan and the clutch. 110k miles is nothing for a diesel, they don't seem to run in until about 70k and will be good for 500k some people say!

Check that all the gadgets work, that it pulls below 3k RPM (though don't expect a ball of fire), no clutch slip and that the clutch is high. You could also ask the garage for and AA or RAC inspection.

The diesel is insurance group 11 (probably reduced road fund licence too?) and can give you 50 MPG on a run and with a remap (eg Upsolute) or Rover Rons Synergie you will get an economical but spritely motor.

My tourer is identical to the one listed, right down to the Nokia car kit. Mine cost £7495 two years ago with 75k and now it has 120k on the clock and goes sweet as a nut and with the remap makes for a powerful cruiser. I reckon the diesel tourer handles really well on the country roads too.

Good luck in your searches!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
547 Posts
Keep the 600. They are built like a tank. Here in Reading you see dozens of 600 as cab as they are comfy and last forever. I move from a 623GSI to a 75 V6 with only 60k on the clock. The bloody thing blew up at 64k with HGF and cost a fortune to try and fix. It went again a few miles later.

I'd save my money and keep the 600. I'd only ever part with a little cash for a 75 now so if the engine went I could scrap it.

They have fan faults and suffer HGF, esspecially the 1.8T. Compared.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Keep the 600. They are built like a tank. Here in Reading you see dozens of 600 as cab as they are comfy and last forever. I move from a 623GSI to a 75 V6 with only 60k on the clock. The bloody thing blew up at 64k with HGF and cost a fortune to try and fix. It went again a few miles later.

I'd save my money and keep the 600. I'd only ever part with a little cash for a 75 now so if the engine went I could scrap it.

They have fan faults and suffer HGF, esspecially the 1.8T. Compared.
Well the previous owner probably wanted shot of it if it blew so quickly after you bought it. The fact that it went again suggests that the car had an underlying issue that wasn't addressed. KV6 failures on the 75's are rare. You were just unlucky that you got a duffer!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I owned a 620si (Honda block) prior to my 75, get the 75 m8, you wont regret it. (even though the 620 was solid as a rock and never needed any work, unlike 75's)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I had the R600 shape Honda Accord 2.2 V-Tec auto and changed to a 75 diesel manual CDT Conny SE.

While the Honda was good, smart looking etc, it wasn't a 75!!

Go for it, and don't disregard the diesel. Personally I would go for as high a spec as poss, the Conn SE has all the toys, mine's only missing satnav and TV, AFAIK. Also diesel mileage needn't be a worry, I bought mine at 87000, now reading 116500.

HTH

Malcolm

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
There's my Classic SE CDT saloon, manual, for £2k.

02 reg, taxed, March 08, MOT end Sept 07, 150bhp, 106K miles.

Ron

Pics on my website.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well the previous owner probably wanted shot of it if it blew so quickly after you bought it. The fact that it went again suggests that the car had an underlying issue that wasn't addressed. KV6 failures on the 75's are rare. You were just unlucky that you got a duffer!

hi i used to belong to a rover club down here in the south there was over 100 of us 78 with rover 75 54 have had head gasket repair before or during the time we have had them it is very common indeed myself i have had 4 rovers in the last 10 years and everyone has had hgf

1 - 20 of 31 Posts