MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Unique car ?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  gnu 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I have a Mg Zs 180 that I have a logbook that states it was first registered to Mg rovers engineering department
My question is .
How unique is this car ?
Is it worth putting into storage as it has done only 31000 miles ?

#3 ·
I don't know about being unique, but having MG Rover's engineering department as the first registered keeper adds to its interest and appeal, but is unlikel to be worth any more because of it (unless of course it is one of the test cars that the administrators released for sale in 2005 andhas some unique feature not found on a production car?

Normally, engineering or test cars would be scrapped after they were no longer useful to the engineers, but some cars were only used for normal running testing, or for the trial fit of new parts, or alterations to existing components. If these cars had a hard test life, they woulfd not normally be released for resale, and would be stripped/crushed. Those which had not been given a hard mechanical or physical test and were deemed suitable to sell on would be returned to factory spec, any faults rectified and would be sold either within MGR, or via the MG Rover approved used system I think.

There was very little likelihood of a test car which has had "the nuts thrashed off it" having been considered fit for resale, that wasn't how it worked. The only exceptions were a few very late test and development cars which got sold off by the administrators after MGR went bust - they obviously didn't appreciate that some of these cars had non-standard (sometimes hand engineered) parts which may not even have been safe for a road going car (the Rover 75 trial fitted with a FIAT JTD engine that got out for example - with non standard engine mounts and drive shafts).

What exactly have you got, and have you any reason to suspect it may be a development car? It could just have been an engineering department pool car for everyday transport?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.