MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Unipart CVT oil still available/ ok to use? I seem to remember reading that this oil, despite the name, wasn't right for the cvt box! I'm going to change the oil in mine, and I obviously want to make sure I put the right stuff in.

If not, does anybody know where I can get the right oil?

Thanks

Ade

·
Registered
777 Posts
DO NOT USE UNIPART CVT OIL. The only oil to be put in CVT's is Esso CVT oil. MGR sent out info. that Unipart CVT oil was not to be used as it could knacker up the gearbox. I believe that BMW oil is the same, but I can't verify that. Paul

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I thought, thanks Paul.

There's a website somewhere that says the mini box is a derivative of the Rover one, but it also says that unipart oil is ok! Think I'll try and locate some Esso oil. Any idea where I can get some? I've tried Google but that hasn't come up with anything?

Ade

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
ade014 said:
Is the Unipart CVT oil still available/ ok to use? I seem to remember reading that this oil, despite the name, wasn't right for the cvt box! I'm going to change the oil in mine, and I obviously want to make sure I put the right stuff in.

If not, does anybody know where I can get the right oil?

Thanks

Ade

The general concensus seems to be that the best stuff to use is Esso EZL799 or BMW ECVT fluid 83 22 0 136 376

hth

Codger

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BMW oil cost price £90 + VAT for 20 litres (50% markup to customer), Esso £59+vat 20 litres. Can't seem to find it in any smaller quantities, but I have some contacts at my local BM dealer and I'm hoping he can sort me out 5L out of his workshop supply. If not I'll get 20L of Esso, and stick the remainder in the garage in case there's anyone on here who needs some. I intend to change the oil annually anyway, so it'll last me about as long as I'll keep the car.

Thanks for all the info.

Ade

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.