MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Rover 114 SLi which has a R660 radio in it.

The radio is locked, and displaying CodE. I have the four digit code, and know how to enter it, which is roughly: pressing '1' and then using the tuning buttons to select a number, etc... (this is given in the 'In-Car Entertainment' Handbook).

Now, my problem is that when I press '1' to start entering the code nothing happens! I've tried pressing it many different ways and pressing other buttons as well, so I'm relatively convinced I'm not just 'doing it wrong'.

I feel that maybe the the detachable keyboard is bust, or maybe the whole stereo has a problem? The former would be much cheaper to replace, but I'm not sure if that is the case - has anyone has this problem before?

Cheers!

Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
Did not have this type of problem, but what I am thinking is can you try to clean connector pins on both sides - on the radio and on the detachable keypad? Maybe they are dirty or coroded and do not make good contact.

Registered
Is this a running working car?

Maybe the car has damp / moisture in the radio which is affecting it?

Have you charged the battery of the car fully and does it start, as flat battery would indicate it prompting you for the code.

Registered
Hi,

I have a Rover 114 SLi which has a R660 radio in it.

The radio is locked, and displaying CodE. I have the four digit code, and know how to enter it, which is roughly: pressing '1' and then using the tuning buttons to select a number, etc... (this is given in the 'In-Car Entertainment' Handbook).

Now, my problem is that when I press '1' to start entering the code nothing happens! I've tried pressing it many different ways and pressing other buttons as well, so I'm relatively convinced I'm not just 'doing it wrong'.

I feel that maybe the the detachable keyboard is bust, or maybe the whole stereo has a problem? The former would be much cheaper to replace, but I'm not sure if that is the case - has anyone has this problem before?

Cheers!
I have this exact issue with my mini R660. did you find a solution?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have this exact issue with my mini R660. did you find a solution?
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

It was a while back now, but I remember when I actually got round to having a look at the radio properly, I quickly ruled out the detachable keyboard as the source of the problem. As its just plastic there is little that can go wrong with it - as long as when it clips in it presses on the switch that activates the radio, but this should be obvious as it won't turn on otherwise. So, I ruled the problem was with the contacts that the plastic was pressing on (or maybe just the contact behind the '1' button, which is the one needed to unlock it).

After that I ordered some radio keys, which are very cheap, and took the radio out, which was simple, and prised the top off with a flathead, and wiggled the facing off. Next I tried to get to circuitboard behind the keyboard, with the aim of cleaning the contacts, but I failed at this stage, it seems as if it wasn't made to be accessed unsurprisingly. I've read that the circuitboards are flimsy and tend to be the thing that goes wrong.

Eventually I just picked up another R660 radio to replace it. You can pick them up from a breaker or online (if you're patient and check every now and again) for a decent price - mine was about 拢20.

Cheers.

Note: The car was running so it wouldn't have been a battery / damp / moisture problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts