MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to get a form of words which encourages UK built. Owned here or invested in by overseas. MG Rover, Jaguar, Nissan, Toyota, Honda etc.

Many sympathetic but boy is it hard work.

EU law you know.

Private companies as in this months diesel car can say you either have Audi or BMW. No British, stuff that mate. Public authorities well thats different.

I have to justify all this while in Germany ad France it wouldn't even be an issue 90% home grown I suspect.

The British shot foot storey again. Its a bit like shot put except you kind of stubb your own toes.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
How about 'In case you haven't noticed you look a right git driving that Audi. Try a 45 mate.'

or

'You know old boy, Rover = big penis. BMW = small penis'

something that will get people on an elemental level.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
The Home Office seems to have gotten it's act together as most high ranking officials in the Prison Service and other departments now seem to be driving 54 and 05 registered Rover 75s rather than Omegas.

·
Registered
446 Posts
How about:

"You are all suckers for marketing, brand sheep, try and think for yourself, get a mind of your own."

Oh, hang on a minute, that is marketing, Hyundai use it.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
In the olden days, government and nationalised industries had a "buy British" policy. You had to get special permission from the cabinet if it was something not produced here (e.g. an IBM computer).

Can you imagine trying that today?

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Thats what annoys me. What was wrong with that in the first place?

I can remember as a wee lad, looking on the T.V and seeing 800 and Metro Patrol cars on the streets of London. I can also remember Politicians being jetted around in 800's and Jags. Nowadays they have conformed to Audi A6's, BMW 5-Series' and Vauxhall Omega. What the hell is going on there!?

It does'nt paint a pretty picture to see that your public services simply point blank refuse to use an Domestically produced Vehicles, and are more than happy to be seen on T.V in them. Did anyone see that EU summit the other week? Seeing the German Prime Minister in a 5-Series, the French in a Peugeot 607 and old Tony in an... A6. :scary:

I bet were the laughing stock of the EU atm...

·
Registered
101 Posts
The only place I have seen a police Rover/MG recently is on the telly- in drama programmes: Andy Dalziel had a 75 (Last seen driving an s-type Jag though), Barnaby in Midsomer has a 75, his Sergeant a 45, and they have a 25 in patrol car livery, and in Inspector Linley they have a 75 saloon and tourer in livery and in the first episode of the new series the firearms squad turned up in a black ZT-T.

Meanwhile, back in reality, my local constabulary all seem to drive round in Fiestas, Astras and, if they have really made it, Skoda Octavias. Apart from some obvious questions about the qualities of some cars purchased by the police, could it be that they largely just buy the cheapest they can get and as MGR can't afford to 'give' cars away the way other manufacturers seem to the police and others simply aren't interested in buying British. What we need is a complete change in ethic in this country, but when you get MPs who approve the purchase of German crockery for Parliament and reckon that car manufacturing is a 'low tech' industry (whereas fast food restaurants, theme parks and call centres are all such high value added industries- apologies to anyone who works in these industries, but they are not) and MG-Rover 'only' employ 6,000 people, so they are less important to the UK than, say for sake of argument, a mid sized high street retailer, then you have a big problem.

I know that every time this argument comes up people scream that you can't discriminate because of EU rules but my response to that is always that in that case we should interpret the rules the way everyone else does- i.e. do what the hell suits us best and justify it if we have to. I think a lot of people think that because they have to consider foreign purchases that translates into 'you have to have an unquestionable reason for not buying foreign', which of course is not the same thing at all.

Every time a major sports event occurs and everybody sticks their union flag on their car and develops an outrageous sense of patriotism I just have to laugh because in a very real sense my car is my own flag. Other people- mostly Audi drivers I know- don't get it, and think I lack national pride because I don't have one of these car flags. The trouble is that they just don't get it and because of the prevailing view that we can't make anything in this country they won't ever get it. And how you change that I do not know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
*DLN* said:
The Home Office seems to have gotten it's act together

I'm not to sure about that. I recently had to make two large purchases, and was informed from head office that the suppliers were ...... and ..... One Swedish the other German.

The German product I have been unable to find a UK product at the required size. However, instead of the Swedish I found a better product made in the UK, at the same price.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The key to this is David Beckham and Jamiroquai.

If two of us from this site could reduce ourselves to mini-size, just like in that old film 'Inner-Space', enter the bodies of the two aforesaid major celebrities, then pull some levers in their heads and have them drive only MGRs for the next two years...MGR annual sales 500 million.

Easy! :evil:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts