MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
U.S. investigates Land Rover drive shaft complaints

Reuters / April 10, 2007 - 1:00 am

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- U.S. auto safety regulators have opened a preliminary investigation of complaints of drive shaft failures on some Ford Motor Co. Land Rover sport utility vehicles.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it has received 38 complaints about front drive shaft and front axle differential failures, many of which caused the vehicle to stop moving. In about half the cases, the vehicle was going faster than 40 mph.

No crashes or injuries were reported, the agency said in documents showing that it had opened a review of 2002-04 Land Rover, Range Rover SUVs. An estimated 33,000 vehicles could be affected.

A drive shaft transfers power from the transmission to the axle while differentials provide proper torque to individual wheels and allow them to rotate at different speeds.
SOURCE: Automotive News

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Funny, was just posting about this. Somethings finally happening then

A guy i knows '04 completely cut out on the M25 a few months back, luckily he was on the inside lane. They need this sorted before someone has a serious accident.

Check this out if you're interested- http://rangerovers.net/rrmkiiiremedies.html#diff
I thought they had fixed it post 03? That's what Autocar said anyway...

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They did MGROVERnut.

What we need to bear in mind, is that the USA work on Model Years, rather than actual years. So a 2004 Land Rover would be a 2003 in date.

So we are actually talking about 2001 to 2003 build dates ;)

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Autocar obviously just went on whatever bull the LR PR team told them - ALL BMW engined cars are affected (2002-2005) and it happens to pretty much every car eventually- read the rangrovers.net article. Only cure as yet is a hugely expensive part made by a small company in the US

The guy i know has an '04 4.4 which failed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts