MG-Rover.org Forums banner

tyres - what's all the fuss all about ??

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  VVC Graham 
#1 ·
My MGF VVC (that i've had for about 3 months) has tyres which have loads of tread but clearly are the cheap of the cheap. As i don't know any different they seem to drive fine - realistically am i going to feel any difference by fitted £120+ tyres to each wheel ? - or is it more of a fashion accessory

#7 ·
Do a trackday. It becomes really obvious.

I have P7000s all round. They are superb in the dry. I was pretty well outcornering everyone on the circuit. A light sprinkling of rain arrived and I was all over the place. Most of the other drivers were shod with goodyear and bridgestone. They were going past me in the wet simply because they could carry more speed through the corners.

It does make a difference.

#8 ·
When I bought mine it had a set of Kumho's on as the previous owner knew he was selling up.

Drove with them for about 2000 miles and they were naff. In a straight line the car would train track very easily, going round corners the back felt nervy and taking sharp corners was another experiance altogether.

After asking around on here and other forums decided to fork out for Goodyear GS-D2's all round and never looked back.

But obviously this is just my opinion. See what other people think and then go from there.

#12 ·
i would say that's more than likely a product of my bad driving than the tyres - i've driven it as hard as ifeel comfortable around bends and it's not given me any nasty suprises yet - however, better tyres may give me the confidence to go faster still - right bruv ?

#13 ·
Incidents with tyres and Fs have been documented. To the extent that there is a section about tyres on Rob Bells website.

go to www.mgf.ultimatemg.com and have a look over there, there is a spreadsheet about tyres. This is no placebo effect, people do notice the difference. The F/TF being mid engined depends upon tyres with reinforced sidewalls (hence why the NCT 5 and F1 GS-D3s are considered unsuitable)

But you don't have to spend serious money to get decent tyres. My preference is Eagle F1 GS-D2s which I can pick up in the correct size for my car for £78 fitted, however Toyo do a perfectly good tyre, the T1-R for far less.

#16 ·
As a guide, check out www.mytyres.co.uk (add about 20% if your just going to a local tyre fitters).

I have 215/40 R16's which should be te most expensive of the lot cuz they're a wonky size, and they're £80 a corner.

I'm going to go against the grain now and say that if you buy any decent premium sports tyres you'll be fine. I've got a set of Yoko 539's (with the funky criss cross tread) in the garage waiting for my Eagle F1's to wear out and I'm in no doubt they'll be fine. At the end of the day, we are not world class drivers, and whilst I agree wholly the F1's are the first choice, I'm not going to lose sleep over fitting my Yoko's next time round.

#17 ·
My wife's MGF is now on its third set of Goodyear Eagles on the rear (32K miles) and the handling is spot on. She did have Continentals on the rear for around 5k miles but the handling was truely awful, they didn't seem to be wearing out so they were scrapped and a new pair of Goodyears went on. Instant fix!

#18 ·
scuzza said:
My MGF VVC (that i've had for about 3 months) has tyres which have loads of tread but clearly are the cheap of the cheap. As i don't know any different they seem to drive fine - realistically am i going to feel any difference by fitted £120+ tyres to each wheel ? - or is it more of a fashion accessory
I changed the two front when I got the car (only really needed to do one, but did both to keep the grip equal) to F1's and the difference was massive. Particularly in the wet.

Don't know how much difference you'd feel from paying more for even 'better' tyres... my F1's were £70/75 each + I think it was about £20 to fit em both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.