MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding that to replace two new tyres on my MG ZT is going to cost £400 for a pair of Michelin. This is after negotiating. Does anyone know of any cheap makes of tyre i can put on my ZT.

The size is 225 45 18Z.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am sure this is probably no help, but I have always found Avon tyres are a good 'CHEAPER' alternative to Michelin. I don't know if they produce one to your specific needs though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not sure how much of an economy it is to move away from the Michelins.

I replaced the original equipment Michelins on my ZT-T at 18k miles, not down to the legal limit, but prior to a 2k mile holiday.

The Pirellis now on the car at 7k miles old are already tramlining more than they did new, and I don't remember the Michelins showing the same characteristics anything like so soon.

Andy

·
Registered
225 Posts
I got two brand new Continentals for £160 off e-bay. They're very good as well. You've got to keep a regular eye on the site, because they go quickly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep an eye out on ebay as 2 Michelins went for £200 on there but I was not near a PC to keep up lifting my bid.
I've also been finding the tyres seem to wear on the very outside quickly. Is this common?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Greg,

I get my tyres from Longbridge tyres (near the factory). Continental at £130 a corner all in. If you ask they will do puncture pepaired tyres from the factory for £70 a corner (Michelins & continentals).

I did 25k on the fronts and the rears are very good at 32k. A quiet ride and good all round grip so they get my vote.

I always found Pirellis to have great grip but a VERY short life span.

The front will always wear slightly on the outside edge - more so on the near side but anything more than slight then get an alignment check.

AL

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
598 Posts
I don't know if they are still doing it but I found Kwik Fit will beat any price you can find so it is worth shopping around and then going to Kwik Fit for the cheapest price.

·
Registered
rover_75
207 Posts
AndyW said:
Not sure how much of an economy it is to move away from the Michelins.

I replaced the original equipment Michelins on my ZT-T at 18k miles, not down to the legal limit, but prior to a 2k mile holiday.

The Pirellis now on the car at 7k miles old are already tramlining more than they did new, and I don't remember the Michelins showing the same characteristics anything like so soon.

Andy
I had Pirellis on my MG Maestro years ago. stuck to the road like glue but were made of jelly. I had the dubious honour of replacing after 7k!
Michelins good, wear well, can let go in the wet in my experience. Avons excellent tyres, good mix of grip and longevity.
I have also used Lassa, which are made in Turkey (don't laugh) by Bridgestone and are on a par with Avons.
I currently use Vredestein (Dutch make) on my 25 TD and would recommend, though not sure if they come in 18's.
Shop around, there are often some cracking deals to be had at independent tyre dealers and its well worth the cost of the calls.
Where abouts in the Uk are you?
I have a list of good tyre dealers for South Yorkshire, but that wouldn't be much use if you were in Cornwall......

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
If you, or someone you know, is a member of Costco, go there. They only stock Michelin, but are by far the cheepest (they do also offer a budget tyre, but can't remeber which and it has to be ordered in). I got Michelin Pilot Premacy 195/65 VR15 for £60 each fitted (including balance rotation etc.) the nearest price was over £80 from black circles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
www.valuetyres.co.uk

This is a good website as I will need 2 rears next month.

Should just get 20k out of em.........Bridgstones

I was going to print off the list of 225s prices from this website and take it to some local tyre dealers to see if they can do the same deals.....or cheaper even!

It's worth a try and they can only say no I guess.

JN

1 - 14 of 14 Posts