MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had all my wheels off today to give em a good clean, and noticed that my rears have about 0.5mm left on em :yikes: , fair enough you might say, but they were put on new by the dealer when I bought the car - last September, soooo thats about 6500 miles, pretty impressive huh. They are crappy Falkens, so I'll be glad to get shut, but even so....... Can anyone beat that, Deano, you must rip thru tyres the way you drive - alegedly :naughty:

·
Registered
mg_tf
149 Posts
as you already said pete falkens are crap!! i had a set on a previous car and they didnt last five minutes far to soft a compound me thinks...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Its not quite the same but some of the minis I work on at the weekend have tyres which last about 40 miles.

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, what are peeps thoughts on mixing front/rear, the fronts are GY F1 GSD2's with quite a bit a bit tread left. If I can't get GSD2's then I'm gonna put Toyo's on (sorry [email protected]), but I don't want to change the fronts yet.

·
Registered
mg_tf
205 Posts
petevick said:
I've had all my wheels off today to give em a good clean, and noticed that my rears have about 0.5mm left on em :
Snap, I think I've got about 4 weeks left before the rears will need changing.
Only just noticed when using my new Tyre polishing toy!

18 Months and 14,000K doesn't seem too bad.

I think I'll get F1's

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
petevick said:
I've had all my wheels off today to give em a good clean, and noticed that my rears have about 0.5mm left on em :yikes: , fair enough you might say, but they were put on new by the dealer when I bought the car - last September, soooo thats about 6500 miles, pretty impressive huh. They are crappy Falkens, so I'll be glad to get shut, but even so....... Can anyone beat that, Deano, you must rip thru tyres the way you drive - alegedly :naughty:
Can't beat that Pete, maybe I know how to use the clutch?

The Contis on my car are nearing the end, another 1000 miles or so, certainly less than 10k including running in.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Glad you're there Pete, so nice to meet a normal'ish person. Just spent the afternoon with my 82 year old, gradually losing it, mother and our 3 grandsons aged 3 to 8. I'm totally donald and need a sleep and my brain is about to shut down completely.

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sprinter said:
Glad you're there Pete, so nice to meet a normal'ish person. Just spent the afternoon with my 82 year old, gradually losing it, mother and our 3 grandsons aged 3 to 8. I'm totally donald and need a sleep and my brain is about to shut down completely.
My brains been shut down since Friday night when we went to a friends house for a meal and I had a 1/4 bottle rum, wasn't at all well on Saturday, and still feel a bit, ermmm, fragile today, never again........till the next time.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
F1's all the way!!!!!!!!!

errr....big fan of the F1 incase you hadnt noticed.

And Pete,drinking to excess...you should know better at your age,tut tut.(any comments on the state I was in on my birthday a few weeks ago will be strongly denied:=p: ).

·
Registered
837 Posts
When I got my TF I got new F1's on the rear, 10000 miles later and there is still about half the tread left (not for the want of trying!), cant fault them! Plus they look the best IMO!

It also came with Khumo (spelling???) on the front, dont seem too bad, wearing pretty well too, although they look as though their too narrow for the wheels, even though they are the correct size. The rim seems quite exposed! just have to be canny at the old parking!

Ian

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Just replaced my F1 D2's on the front after about 26,000km with F1 D3's to match the D3's fitted to the rear about 11,000km ago after a blowout. Tracking done, and now the car has been transformed to the way it was. Don't know if this was due to a bad allignment last time, or matching tyres all round now, but well pleased with the result.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Pete

I've had GY F1 and TOYO T1-S and could not tell the difference on roads that I know very well. Worst moment I had in the F was on F1s and after that I changed to T1-S. can't wait for TF tyres to wear to a reasonable level to replace them with T1-Rs. Defo before going to Pyrennees in June.

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
I'll be needing some new ones on the back at some point, they're currently F1's allround so this kinda discussion is a help to me too.
Another thing is there's plenty of places selling tyres online, some seem quite cheap. But what's the average price for getting them fitted locally?

Jonathan

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would never mix the tyre brand on my F. We made the experience that the F gets on our alp roads unstably - very dangerous. But that's my personal experience.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts