MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done just over 9000 miles in my MY04 ZS180 and have notice that the front tyres seem to be wareing more int eh middle two thirds than the outer, the tyres are only ever inflated to the suggested limit in the manual and checked using a digital pressure gauge (i.e. not he one on the compressor) to me it suiggests the yres have been over inflated, but this isn't so. Has anyone got any ideas (both near and off side are hte same, seemingly the middle 2 groves in my Continentals are shallower than the outer ones, if a photo would help anyone help me just ask.)

I don't think it relates to tracking as the wear is uneven left to right or visa versa just down the middle of the tyre it is more than the outside.

Cheers for the help.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Northerner said:
I have done just over 9000 miles in my MY04 ZS180 and have notice that the front tyres seem to be wareing more int eh middle two thirds than the outer, the tyres are only ever inflated to the suggested limit in the manual and checked using a digital pressure gauge (i.e. not he one on the compressor) to me it suiggests the yres have been over inflated, but this isn't so. Has anyone got any ideas (both near and off side are hte same, seemingly the middle 2 groves in my Continentals are shallower than the outer ones, if a photo would help anyone help me just ask.)

I don't think it relates to tracking as the wear is uneven left to right or visa versa just down the middle of the tyre it is more than the outside.

Cheers for the help.

Dodgy tyre pressure gauge??? I know you used a digi one, but tis still possible.

Do you have an old fashioned pencil gauge??

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Digital pressure gauges are not accurate, (IMHO)

Draper sell a brilliant gauge for about 7 quid and it's very accurate.
If the middle of the tyre is wearing then it is over inflated.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Amagoza said:
Digital pressure gauges are not accurate, (IMHO)

Draper sell a brilliant gauge for about 7 quid and it's very accurate.
If the middle of the tyre is wearing then it is over inflated.

I second that.
Never mind what the gauge says - if the trye is overinflated, the centre of the tread bulges out and therefore wears faster than the outer section which is not as fully in contact with the road.
Also means you haven't been getting the optimum tyre to road contact area!
The wider the tyre, the more critcal the pressure.
Try dropping the pressure by 1-2psi it obviously won't undo the uneven wear but should stop it getting worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts