MG-Rover.org Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
May be you're right! But then the next best is the Goodyear GSD3...

Unless, of course, you guys can tell us otherwise ;)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Model: F VVC
Tyre manufacturer and type: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Wheel size: 15"
Profile- Front: 195/50
Profile- Rear: 195/50
Rating (0-10, where 0= truely dangerous and 10= Superb!): 8.5
Subjective comments: Great tyres - Really great dry grip and good wet grip. The ride is still good. Second time I have had them, was going to try Toyo's but would have to have waited too long due to back order issues.
Cost(optional): $150.00 AUD per corner
Mileage on rear tyres (optional): 35,000km plenty of which was on the track

·
Registered
mgf
93 Posts
Model: F stepspeed
Tyre manufacturer and type: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Wheel size: 16"
Profile- Rear: 215/40
Rating (0-10, where 0= truely dangerous and 10= Superb!): 5
Subjective comments: good dry grip and poor wet grip.
These were fitted when I bought the car, don't like them at all. Will change as soon I decide on what to fit next. My first F so nothing to compare with.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Lack of 215s and now much higher price then 6 months ago have put me off them lol. Too popular as you suggest me thinks.
Agreed, I have had the T1R's on until a new set was needed, 215's on back order.

GSD2's however very easy to get hold of a the moment, every one I phone had stock or could get them next day

·
Registered
120 Posts
TR1'S on order 10 days to wait,having to eek out the miles on my gsd2's on the rear and hope we don't get too much rain or any more snow as they are virtually done in now.

Will be able to give a back to back comparison as have had gsd2 alround for 16,000 miles.see how the toyo's go!

·
Registered
776 Posts
You may find the Toyo's wear a lot faster than the GY's Stuart, just checked my paperwork and my rear Toyo's last just under 10,000 miles

·
Registered
120 Posts
The general view outside of mg world seems to be that toyos wear quicker but it's swings and roundabouts as they are cheaper than goodyears and more grippy :)

but we'll see.......and to be honest my rears had pretty much had it after 10,000 miles and my left rear was gone.(too much fun on milton keynes roundabouts :) I was lucky enough to be helped out with a tyre from a friendly southmidssportser!! scraped through mot 3wks ago with advisory,as i said i have toyos on order on internet and didn't want what they had.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Some really interesting comments there regarding tyre wear. 10-12k miles appear to be the 'going rate' for soft performance tyres. What might be useful to find is a harder tyre that has a stiff side wall, that has a longer life but still gives good handling characteristics on MGF and TFs.

Not sure how to find this out, as there doesn't appear to be any published information regarding side wall stiffness. The only clues are speed and weight ratings; the heavier the car, and the higher the speed rating, the stiffer the side walls will need to be. Technically, you might regard this as getting an unecessarily heavy tyre that is over-engineered for the purpose on a relatively light sports car, but might be the best way to go...

Anyway, I anticipate doing another data analysis in the next day or so, so here's another call for more tyre feedback! :D

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.