Registered
1,322 Posts
Model: F
Tyre manufacturer and type: Toyo Proxes T1R
Wheel size: 17"
Profile- Front: 205\40
Profile- Rear: 215\40
Rating (0-10, where 0= truely dangerous and 10= Superb!): 10
Subjective comments: Very happy with the tyres. Good grip on wet road.
Cost(optional): Around £500
Mileage on rear tyres(optional):

·
Registered
115 Posts
Model: TF
Tyre manufacturer and type: Yokohama AVS Winter
Wheel size: 15"
Profile- Front: 185\55
Profile- Rear: 205\50
Subjective comments: Fantastic grip in all weather condition, car is 'glued' to the tarmac.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Brilliant feed-back guys, keep it coming! Really interesting to see some tyres that haven't been covered in previous surveys being mentioned in such positive terms! :D

Usually in previous tyre surveys I try to list just those tyres for which I have had 3 or more entries on - but for the less popular tyres this is difficult, but it makes your feedback even more important! So even if you see a squillion entries for the tyres on your car, please do take the time to enter your tyre's information, and your appraisal (which could be very different from other people's of course!)

Cheers! :)

·
Registered
mgf
53 Posts
Wheel size: 15''
Profile- Front: 195/50
Profile- Rear: 205/40
Subjective comments: Excellent tyres. Ecellent grip.
Cost(optional): Around £400
Mileage on rear tyres(optional): 40k

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
MG Model (F or TF): F Trophy 160
Tyre manufacturer and type: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Wheel size: 16"
Profile- Front: 195/45
Profile- Rear: 215/40
Rating (0-10, where 0= truely dangerous and 10= Superb!): 9.5
Subjective comments: Excellent grip on the track and the road
Cost(optional): £179 rears
Mileage on rear tyres(optional): 12,000 so far!

·
Registered
mgf
90 Posts
MG Model (F or TF): F MK2
Tyre manufacturer and type: Toyo T1R
Subjective comments: Awsome grip, although I have the Event Tyres that came with the car on the front and I'm now getting too much understeer
Cost(optional): £147 rears
Mileage on rear tyres(optional): 500 so far

·
Registered
11,310 Posts
MG Model (F or TF): TFLE500
Tyre manufacturer and type: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2
Wheel size:16
Profile- Front: 195/45 R16 7Jx16
Profile- Rear: 215/40 R16 7Jx16
Rating (0-10, where 0= truly dangerous and 10= Superb!): 10
Subjective comments: Fitted standard to this model. Good in rain. I was very impressed with it's performance in the snow. A not unduly noisy tyre that looks good. I have always had these on all my F and TF's.Highly recommended
Cost(optional): £90-£100 per tyre
Mileage on rear tyres(optional): 2500 miles so far.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The 3 tyres I've had a fair amount of experience with the F & TF:

MG Model (F or TF): F
Tyre manufacturer and type: Falken ZE512
Profile- Front: 215/40
Rating (0-10, where 0= truely dangerous and 10= Superb!): 8
Subjective comments: Always felt sure footed and under control no matter what I threw them into. Had them front and back for a long while, replaced one set of rears with another pair the same as I was more than happy with them,
Cost(optional): £68.50 (Jan 2008)
Mileage on rear tyres(optional): 14415

MG Model (F or TF): F
Tyre manufacturer and type: Marangoni Zeta Linea
Profile- Front: 215/40
Rating (0-10, where 0= truely dangerous and 10= Superb!): 8
Subjective comments: No problems with them, couldn't tell them apart from the previous Falkens, if anything slightly better grip but not enough to jump up and shout about
Cost(optional): £51.90 (Jan 2009)
Mileage on rear tyres(optional): 10660 - at which point I shot backwards into a ditch, but not the tyres' fault! :D

MG Model (F or TF): TF
Tyre manufacturer and type: Goodyear Eagle GSD2
Rating (0-10, where 0= truely dangerous and 10= Superb!): 9
Subjective comments: Just feel a little bit better than the tyres I had on the F, but the different TF suspension might be partly responsible
Cost(optional): £85 (Dec 2009)
Mileage on rear tyres(optional): Unknown, previous owner no receipt

·
Registered
mgf
126 Posts
MG Model (F or TF):F
Tyre manufacturer and type:Avon ZV3
Wheel size: 15 inch
Profile- Front:Standard fit
Profile- Rear:Standard fit
Rating (0-10, where 0= truely dangerous and 10= Superb!):8.5
Subjective comments: Very good in both wet and dry, handles roundabouts at speed which is essential living in East Sussex
Cost(optional):£73 each fitted
Mileage on rear tyres(optional): Managed 10,100 miles exactly, only to find that due to tracking of the wheel the inside had worn through to a white line, but the outter part of the wheels were fine. Lesson learned. Alignment, alignment, alignment

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Wheel size: 15"
Profile- Front: 185\55
Profile- Rear: 205\50
Subjective comments: Fantastic tyre, awesome grip on dry roads, very good in wet conditions, looks great
Cost(optional): € 282,00 fitted (in 2007)
Mileage on rear tyres(optional): ~ 18.000 (30.000 kms)

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Rating (0-10, where 0= truely dangerous and 10= Superb!):7.5
Subjective comments: OK in both wet and dry but took 3 attemptsw to get balanced perfectly. Over-inflation slightly seemed to help
Mileage on rear tyres(optional): I seem to do pretty well on this tyres last for years on Red 19 as i dont use it that much. Track days of course shred them!

·
Registered
mgf
126 Posts
Rating (0-10, where 0= truely dangerous and 10= Superb!):7.5
Subjective comments: OK in both wet and dry but took 3 attemptsw to get balanced perfectly. Over-inflation slightly seemed to help
Mileage on rear tyres(optional): I seem to do pretty well on this tyres last for years on Red 19 as i dont use it that much. Track days of course shred them!
Intersting you say about the over inflation of the tyres. Had mine installed and have been wizzing around for the last 3 weeks. Today got hubby to check and possible inflate them if appropriate. He told me that the tyre engineers had put in 35bpi in both rears and 31bpi in the fronts compared to the manual of 28 rear and 26 fronts. So we decided 29 rear and 27 fronts.
What pressure does the forum use on their tyres???

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
interesting thread. Don't know how far Gernan car club ADAC's findings are helpful:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=351161
Always interesting and helpful, thanks :) - but getting first hand experience of tyres on our cars is IMO invaluable - as experience in cars with different engine/ drivetrain configurations don't really necessarily transfer well to the mid-engined MG.

The 5-yearly tyre survey seems the best way we have for offering fellow enthusiasts advice regarding future tyre purchases - and this is the way that Toyo T1Rs have become so prevalent! :)

So folks, keep 'em coming! I'll hopefully get enough numbers to compile a mid-way report later this week :D

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
An update on the tyre survey.

First a big thanks to all of you - a good range of tyres have reports, of which five tyres have had two or more records.

And a plea for more feed back on what ever tyres you've had experience with! The more data we have, the more useful the information is for all of us :)

So, the top five entries with 2 or more data entries for each tyre type:
1. Toyo T1R with 9 entries, scoring an outstanding 9.8!
2. Goodyear GSD3 with 4 entries, a prirah tyre, but scoring an excellent 8.7
3. Goodyear GSd2 with 4 entires, MG Rover's preferred tyre, scoring a bench mark 8.4
4. Avon ZV3 with 2 entries, scoring a solid 8.0
5. Continental Contact Premium with 2 entries, scoring a disappointing 6.0

A good collection of tyres with a good score rating. But please, please, please, can I have more returns? :)

Cheers

·
Registered
120 Posts
Rob, very useful survey and trying to get toyo tr1 as originally planned however it's virtually impossible!! tried no end of online companys and getting froont 195's is possible but 215/40/16 are like gold dust,i tried before xmas to get rears and told not in the country.

Finally thought i had sorted yesterday,with event tyres mobile fitters booked for sat only to be called today and told "sorry no 215's in the country"

It's the rears that are 1.6mm on mot but want all 4 changed together....have we made them too popular???

keep being offered toyo proxes 4 instead anyone tried these?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,072 Posts
MG Model (F or TF): TFLE500
Tyre manufacturer and type: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Directional Tyre
Wheel size:16
Profile- Front: 195/45 R16 7Jx16
Profile- Rear: 215/40 R16 7Jx16
Rating (0-10, where 0= truely dangerous and 10= Superb!): 9.5
Subjective comments: The tyre that comes with the car. Only looses traction going up hills in the snow - when driven sensibly. Appears to run flat. Quite expensive.
Cost(optional): £90-£100 per tyre
Mileage on rear tyres(optional): 13k so far

These must be GSD2's as its and LE500 and weren't GSD2's fitted as standard!

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Rob, very useful survey and trying to get toyo tr1 as originally planned however it's virtually impossible!! tried no end of online companys and getting froont 195's is possible but 215/40/16 are like gold dust,i tried before xmas to get rears and told not in the country.

Finally thought i had sorted yesterday,with event tyres mobile fitters booked for sat only to be called today and told "sorry no 215's in the country"

It's the rears that are 1.6mm on mot but want all 4 changed together....have we made them too popular???

keep being offered toyo proxes 4 instead anyone tried these?
Lack of 215s and now much higher price then 6 months ago have put me off them lol. Too popular as you suggest me thinks.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.