MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on painting my brake calipers, and tyres today. Sounds weird that, on the tyres i mean the writing on the tyre wall as it's now faded. What paint should i use, and any tips on painting?

·
Registered
rover_25
581 Posts
plum25 said:
I'm planning on painting my brake calipers, and tyres today. Sounds weird that, on the tyres i mean the writing on the tyre wall as it's now faded. What paint should i use, and any tips on painting?
Don't know about the rest but i know you can buy special pens like tipex pens to fill in the writing on tyres, can't remember where though, i think it was in a motorbike magazine.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tommihayes said:
Don't know about the rest but i know you can buy special pens like tipex pens to fill in the writing on tyres, can't remember where though, i think it was in a motorbike magazine.
Oh right nice mate cheers, I'll have a look in Wilco and Halfords.

·
Registered
rover_600
23 Posts
I know people used tippex years ago but I don't know about now. For the calipers you need to get high temperature paint, you will find it next to the hammerite in halfords etc.

T

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Big Tony said:
I know people used tippex years ago but I don't know about now. For the calipers you need to get high temperature paint, you will find it next to the hammerite in halfords etc.

T
cheers very much chap. I will try tippex, if it doesn't work no harms done! One person i spoke to actually used hammerite for the calipers, good or bad idea?

·
Registered
rover_600
23 Posts
I think it will just burn off, your looking at massive amounts of heat produced so you will need the high temperature stuff. The tins sometimes have VHT (Very High Temperature) in big letters on them. You will get them in a fair selection of colours and it can also be used on your manifold.

T

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big Tony said:
I think it will just burn off, your looking at massive amounts of heat produced so you will need the high temperature stuff. The tins sometimes have VHT (Very High Temperature) in big letters on them. You will get them in a fair selection of colours and it can also be used on your manifold.

T
Cheers Tone, how much money is the paint?

·
Registered
919 Posts
ricc said:
ive had hammerite on my calipers for a while. no probs what so ever.
i have had hammerite on for 6 months and friend with a ZR has had his hammerite'd for 2 years and theres been no flaking at all

go for it!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I have to put my hands up and admit that one I painted the lettering on the tyres and mudflaps of my miniMetro (proper M E T RO mudflaps as well) with Cashmere Gold touch-up pen to match her body cos she was black and gold all over...

I was very young...

·
Registered
350 Posts
i used the halfords high temp engine paint rather than caliper paint. Reason....half the price for the same stuff labelled differently!

·
Registered
53 Posts
did you not have a problem with the hammerite takin ages to dry?? i used it and left it 4 about 6 hours and it flicked off inside my old alloys...think ill go back to the proper calliper paint next time! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts