MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had some Toyo Proxes T1R's on the front for a while now, about 8000 miles.
They look like they are going to need replacing in the next 2-3k miles. I do drive fairly enthusiastically
but i wouldn't have thought they would wear so fast. I seem to remember getting double out of 'el-cheapo' tyres on my old astra and i recon i drove that much harder.

I was just wondering how many miles everybody got out of their respective tyres?
Is 10k miles good for a front set?

Cheers

Dunc

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
toyo's are very soft - what you gain in grip you lose in life expectancy.

11-12k is about the norm for them methinks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was worrying about that, i think i'm gona have to drive like my girlfriend untill i manage to reclaim the 2k in charges the bank owe me.

Think i might need to get the tracking sorted out too now as i hit a bloody kerb tryinig to avoid a stupid girl in a ka doing her makup flying towards me thru town at 500mph

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Do you swap front to back regularly to even the wear?

El cheapo tyres always last longer because of the crap rock hard rubber compound they use. It also means the grip is non existent and you are putting your life in the hands of the tyres.

The Toyo's aren't that expensive for the performance they give and while being a little softer than cheaper tyres they are about on par with most tyres with the same level of performance.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
when i used to drive my car like i stole it, i was getting 2000 miles from a front set maybe 3000 if i was really lucky and 6000 from the rears. these were not cheapy's and they were 205/45/17 so cost £150 each (could not afford them now), this was 5+ years ago. now i drive my car normally to fairlt hard, but i dont know what i get out of a set couz i have not had a car long enough to change the tyres more than once. but i would guess 10k sounds quite good. my tyres normally wear on the outsides (to fast round corners) and the middle are ok.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
did you eat the tyres! Mine are Dunlop SP SPORT 9000, and seem fine and I dont change them and they are two pound coins thick still, Had them since the car was new 5600 miles.

·
Registered
mg_zs
96 Posts
did you eat the tyres! Mine are Dunlop SP SPORT 9000, and seem fine and I dont change them and they are two pound coins thick still, Had them since the car was new 5600 miles.
just changed front pair on my mgzs120+ at the weekend
oe 205/50r16 dunlop sports nsf 2mm osf 3mm

odometer reading - 20687 miles

bought car 18months ago with 6000 on clock so methinks this is first tyre change

thougt id try avon zv3 87v for a change

£72 each from tyreshopper web site

·
Registered
280 Posts
Tracking plays a major part, I had my tracking done after my 400 chewed through a pair of cheap Federal Formozas in about 4k the garage said it was the furthest out they had seen in a while, might have explained why the whell was always 90 degrees out......

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
just changed front pair on my mgzs120+ at the weekend
oe 205/50r16 dunlop sports nsf 2mm osf 3mm

odometer reading - 20687 miles

bought car 18months ago with 6000 on clock so methinks this is first tyre change

thougt id try avon zv3 87v for a change

£72 each from tyreshopper web site
Don't know about the ZV3, but my dad had the ZZ3 on his Rover 75, and the tyre wear was horrendous. I know the 75's can eat tyres, but he's had some Continentals on since , and they seem to be lasting a lot better. Also read some reviews saying the ZZ3's are not that good.

I've had Proxes T1-R on the rear of my ZR for 15,000 miles, and they're still like brand new, and I like to throw it about. Maybe it's my advanced driver training, or the fact that the ZR seems to be quite easy on tyres, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
mg_zs
96 Posts
Don't know about the ZV3, but my dad had the ZZ3 on his Rover 75, and the tyre wear was horrendous. I know the 75's can eat tyres, but he's had some Continentals on since , and they seem to be lasting a lot better. Also read some reviews saying the ZZ3's are not that good.

I've had Proxes T1-R on the rear of my ZR for 15,000 miles, and they're still like brand new, and I like to throw it about. Maybe it's my advanced driver training, or the fact that the ZR seems to be quite easy on tyres, I'm not sure.
being from a generation when power steering was not the norm on most cars
i think making sure where possible the car is moving before turning steering wheel can make a big difference to wear.

when you watch some drivers turning from lock to lock while
stationary this surely must have a great effect on tyre wear.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
being from a generation when power steering was not the norm on most cars
i think making sure where possible the car is moving before turning steering wheel can make a big difference to wear.

when you watch some drivers turning from lock to lock while
stationary this surely must have a great effect on tyre wear.
Very true. In the case of the ZZ3's the rear ones were wearing nearly as fast as the fronts (on a FWD car), so I don't think the power steering had a big effect.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have had my 120 from new dec 03 53plate i wouldnt say i have been gentle with it but my front tyres were replaced for it first MOT they were still legal but prob had about 1k miles left on them car had covered 28k then rear tyres are still fairly new looking and the car has now covered 33k

·
Registered
mg_zs
96 Posts
I have had my 120 from new dec 03 53plate i wouldnt say i have been gentle with it but my front tyres were replaced for it first MOT they were still legal but prob had about 1k miles left on them car had covered 28k then rear tyres are still fairly new looking and the car has now covered 33k

i take it the oe was 205/50 r16 dunlop sports ??

if so my earlier thread would be reasonably accurate
(1st mot, 20687 on clock, o/s/f 3mm n/s/f 2mm

im getting the feeling i should have stuck with dunlop

1 - 14 of 14 Posts