MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Sorry if this isn't the right section but there isn't a seemingly dedicated 'general technical' area really.

Any road, my front tyres are showing some cracks in the tread section of the rubber and in some of the treadblocks themselves. These originally started as small cracks in the edges of the shoulder treadblocks but now the whole surface is marked with these cracks.

I don't have a picture of the tyres themselves yet, however Bridgestone's Australia site has a useful pic which shows kinda what I'm talking about:
Taken from http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/products/car/care/age.asp
Please note: these are not my tyres.

Anyway, this is fairly close to the problem I have, but mine is a bit worse..... I have whole single cracks/lines running around some of the tread blocks and one or two of them are probably around 1mm wide (tops, can't be more than that).

Had a good look at them and they don't 'seem' to be that deep however that is not something that can be guaranteed.

That said, I haven't lost any bits of the tyre and they are still in balance on the wheels. Additionally, I have never run them what I would call under-inflated; I check them regularly and the lowest they have ever gone to is 30.5 psi (recommended is 32 psi), and spend most of their time at around 33-34 psi. Certainly, they have never been run at like 20 psi for a couple of weeks.

As for driving style..... I would describe it as spirited but not exactly racing from start to finish - yeah, they get a bit of stick in to some corners and the odd roundabout but nothing that should rip them apart - definitely not a trackday.

Will try to get a picture of mine.

So..... any opinions??

Should I be taking them out of service or just normal wear and tear / perishing??

FYI, DOT code suggests manufacture in spring 2005. So about 2 years old.... not impressive.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was expecting that question to pop-up.... Fate AR-550

Unfortunately they came with the wheels when I bough them - 2 wheels had these newly mounted while the other 2 I went out and got Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's on which have been fine so far.

At the moment the Fate's are on the front getting the punishment to wear them out as they are not great tyres and it saves the goodyears.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
normally thats an age related thing, the sun causes it in time, I'd replace them myself, need to do all 4 of mine for other reasons :(

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
If your tyres are like that in the pic, then dont worry too much. I have seen much worse - some with deep cracks.

Personally I would keep them on the front and soon they will be worn out and ready for replacement.

I'm currently wearing out old tyres on my freelander. I had a new pair fitted to the rear at Xmas. When I got the car it had 5 different makes of tyre, so I'm trying to get it back to 1 manufacturer all round.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well added the pics to the image gallery but awaiting approval - sorry no web space or able to attach. Once their ready will try to explain what I'm on about. Taken on my mobile phone camera mind so a bit blurry (blurs out most of the cracking but the worst ones still show).

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, here is one picture of what I'm talking about

Annoyingly it looks like not much at all in the picture..... but this is not the worst tyre (passenger side is a bit worse), only had mobile camera on me at the time. Will try and get a proper picture. It's there on most shoulder blocks but blends in to the darker shadow outline.

Both pictures should show one particular 'bad' one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts