MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
own a 02 135 TF, had it 9 months really pleased with it, on inspection of tyres this week realised rear n/side almost illegal tread wear, d/side about half worn, pair at front ok. running on semperit direction sports tyre all round and car has always handled well on these, noticed in the rain this week the back end a little twitchy which is why i looked and noticed tyre wear.

got owners manual out for recommended tyre pressures and saw that it states the 135 should have 205/50 r15 rear and 185/50 r15 front.

my semperits are all 205/50 r15 all round.
is this a problem? should i put the front 205's on the back and buy a pair of 185's for the front, or just replace the 1 205 (cheaper option) or both 205's at the rear
any thought /advice greatly appreciated
finally any reccomendations for a tyre retailer

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
do a search on this forum for tyre threads, u will see how important decent tyres are to teh car and to your life.

the reason for thinner tyres on teh front rather than whats on the rear is a simple easy way to control oversteer.

i would never replace just one tyre.a serious problem will occur. having a new tyre on one corner and a worn in on the other is extremely dangerous.

if the fronts are fine, leave as is and buy two new rears of the same make, then take it easy as the new rears take about 500 miles to bed in, or get all four new tyres of a different make.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I would *personally* move the 205 semperits to the rear, and buy a new front pair of Toyo T1R's. Then prepare to replace the rears with some 205 T1R's at a later stage.

:) Just my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts