MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
888's are expensive semi-slick track tyres, so wont be road legal for long :( Also, I believe they dont do a reinforced wall version (for the rears).

If you are after Toyos, I would suggest the TR-1 Proxies which have been a firm favourite here for a long time :)

·
Registered
mgf
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks I have been using TR-1's for some years and can get about 7-8k out of a set I have no problem with that but was looking for a bit more grip?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
only 7-8K a set? :eek: I take it there is very little motorway driving in that???

The fact your asking for more grip than T1-R's suggests that you might be a bit "energetic" in your driving (would also explain the lack of stamina in your tyres).

I would sugest Goodyear Eagle F1 (GS-D2's, NOT GS-D3's) - Awesome tyre!

·
Registered
mgf
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It had GS-D2's when I first got it and after I had the toyo's fitted there was no going back. About 70% is motorway driving and yes I do give it some when I drive . If I compare it to my bike (gsxr1000 02) I'm lucky to get 3k out of a set.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
It had GS-D2's when I first got it and after I had the toyo's fitted there was no going back. About 70% is motorway driving and yes I do give it some when I drive . If I compare it to my bike (gsxr1000 02) I'm lucky to get 3k out of a set.
Bike tyres are notouriously short-lived ;) Toyos average about 12K (fronts and rears last different periods) as they are softer than Goodyears, but 20K out of a set of GY isnt uncommon!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You can't get correct size R888 for 16" rims, I have been looking for weeks. I have just fitted on my road wheels Toyo R1R 205/45 x 16 allround http://www.toyo.com.au/Proxes%20R1R%20Press%20Release.htm They are very soft and I don't think they will last for more than 6000km BUT do they grip. I don't think they are sold in the UK.
If I had a wider rear wheel I would fit Bridgestone RE55's which I had on my 15's, as the rear to fit is a 225/45 x 16. Good hunting.

·
Registered
mgf
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can't get correct size R888 for 16" rims, I have been looking for weeks. I have just fitted on my road wheels Toyo R1R 205/45 x 16 allround http://www.toyo.com.au/Proxes R1R Press Release.htm They are very soft and I don't think they will last for more than 6000km BUT do they grip. I don't think they are sold in the UK.
If I had a wider rear wheel I would fit Bridgestone RE55's which I had on my 15's, as the rear to fit is a 225/45 x 16. Good hunting.

Thanks ! I call toyo uk and see if they are going to get the r1r's in the uk

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,072 Posts
Bike tyres are notouriously short-lived ;) Toyos average about 12K (fronts and rears last different periods) as they are softer than Goodyears, but 20K out of a set of GY isnt uncommon!
agreed i have GY on mine and the first set which were the originals when i got the car lasted around 17-18K (rears) so opted for he same tyre again, as this would do me 2 years. The fronts are still the originals but need to change them in the summer due to the fact there 6 years old. so more due to safety as a necessity than them being worn out!

·
Registered
mgf
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A answer from toyo!.

Unfortunately this tyre is not yet launched in the UK replacement market.
We are testing some within the Motorsport community and hope to have some internal discussions in Quarter 2 this year.

However, it is unlikely that we will have this tyre on sale en masse any time before the end of Quarter 3 this year.

Hope this helps

Regards

Nick Manning
Marketing Manager TOYO (UK) Ltd

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Dont forget I'm talking KM not miles. My 15" T1'Rs have lasted fromt about 25000km ther rears 16000, they have only done about 200km as a track day tyre as I went to a special Bridgestone RE55, They have lasted about 3000km rear fronts 5000.

·
Registered
mgf
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Proxes r1r

I just got a set of PROXES R1R and all I can say is they feel like the dogs ******** so no more TR-1 Proxies for me any more . I just hope they last 80% of the old tr-1's?

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
R1Rs look brilliant woooooo:wooman:

they are on my wish list....so when the tyres fianalluy pack up that are on the car then I can get a set of those babies

PROBABLY WORTH IN PERFORMANCE THAN ANOTHER 30 BHP!!!

·
Registered
mgf
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
R1Rs look brilliant woooooo:wooman:

they are on my wish list....so when the tyres fianalluy pack up that are on the car then I can get a set of those babies

PROBABLY WORTH IN PERFORMANCE THAN ANOTHER 30 BHP!!!
Toyo uk are not going to sell them in the uk until maybe the end of the year. Get then in eu

1 - 20 of 38 Posts