MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke this evening with someone who earlier had to make a delivery to Longbridge and managed to get a peek inside the place.

A positive tale to be told :)

Apparently the place was reasonably busy. Whilst not an expert in the car industry or in Longbridge, they got a glimpse inside and saw what appeared to be part of a conveyor system being installed or reinstalled... it definitely was not being taken out. There also seemed to be new electrics being installed in the place, with new electrical fittings (conduit, control boxes etc.) sitting around, still in their boxes.

Additionally, the package they were delivering was machinery consumables and was on an express courier service and the faces they encountered were mainly Brummies... with very few Chinese faces in sight.

The last time this individual was there, was a few months back and the place has been tidied up considerably. The mountain of containers previously sitting outside has largely gone as has some of the debris that was piled up in places around the plant.

There was also some evidence of housekeeping being done, with the areas they were in swept clean and many of the handwritten Chinese notices that characterised the place having been removed.

So nothing concrete, but it looks like NAC are beavering away in the background. Good luck to them :)

John

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
That is good news - you need to have all the systems in place before you can start making noise about building cars again so it seems (I hope, at any rate) that this is what they're doing...

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
well don't then.... spill the beans! or at least spill some stylised and vague beans that won't get anyone in trouble or damage the rebirth of MG

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
PatrickT said:
well don't then.... spill the beans! or at least spill some stylised and vague beans that won't get anyone in trouble or damage the rebirth of MG

Lol Patrick! I was going to post a similar reply earlier but didn't. It gets really old when people float little "OOOOH, I know something that you don't and I'm not going to tell you" posts. If empsburma didn't want to tell us he wouldn't have posted that. Okay Someone hold him down, and someone else get the bright lights out!!

·
Registered
cityrover
4,366 Posts
JohnSwitzer said:
I spoke this evening with someone who earlier had to make a delivery to Longbridge and managed to get a peek inside the place.

A positive tale to be told :)

Apparently the place was reasonably busy. Whilst not an expert in the car industry or in Longbridge, they got a glimpse inside and saw what appeared to be part of a conveyor system being installed or reinstalled... it definitely was not being taken out. There also seemed to be new electrics being installed in the place, with new electrical fittings (conduit, control boxes etc.) sitting around, still in their boxes.

Additionally, the package they were delivering was machinery consumables and was on an express courier service and the faces they encountered were mainly Brummies... with very few Chinese faces in sight.

The last time this individual was there, was a few months back and the place has been tidied up considerably. The mountain of containers previously sitting outside has largely gone as has some of the debris that was piled up in places around the plant.

There was also some evidence of housekeeping being done, with the areas they were in swept clean and many of the handwritten Chinese notices that characterised the place having been removed.

So nothing concrete, but it looks like NAC are beavering away in the background. Good luck to them :)

John
Triffic news John - thanks for posting that...it fires up my optimism when I read stuff like that...I keep trying to tell Nanjing that if you make new ZTT's at Longbridge I'll buy one!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
climbsyke said:
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
Please Nanjing give us a BMW killer and I will buy two.
Hmm Its quite possible that a BMW with a Hams hall engine may in many respects be more british than a lot of the Nanjing MG range.

People seem to be treating this as an MG Rover resurection however MG Rover as we knew it is dead and gone, and what we have is a Chinese Company that has got hold of a british brand.

Of Course any Jobs that Nanjing bring to the uk is to be welcomed, however there are massive question marks at the moment as to what will actually be built here, how many jobs will be created, will there be many jobs for UK component manufactures, and above all, what will the Quality of the vehicles produced be like.

Until the above becomes clearer im not going to get to excited about Nanjing and will view them as another foreign manufacturer with a possible UK plant.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
sorry, lips are sealed! :shh:

does involve one set of things going to one place and another set to another :err:

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
so I'm reading that as one set of [unidentified car manufacturing implements] going to Longbridge and another set of [unidentified car manufacturing implements] going to Nanjing.

are the sets identical?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
e668ecp said:
Nanjing UK will need a British partner to run the place......
But Nanjing UK is a British company and exists to run the place. Nanjing UK is like Honda UK - it's the UK arm of a foreign company, set up specifically to be their operation in the UK.

So why exactly do they need a British partner?

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Except Honda UK probably has more autonomy than Nanjing UK and I suspect that the average Honda produced in Swindon has a significantly higher British content than the average Longbridge built Nanjing product will have.

John

·
Registered
rover_75
2,962 Posts
I was at a business conference the other day.Had a speaker there who lectures on change in industry.He has done work for Toyota etc and was talking about Toyota having a slush fund in the bank of Tokyo for a rainy day - the figure ..55 Billion US dollars !!!! He was stating that in the US Hyundi has just released a high end car which he had a look at.He said the quality was amazing, every gadget known to man (sat nav etc) full leather wood grain for $27,000 US. He stated the first Chinese cars are due their next year and the US market expects them to be seriously good for small bucks.I think the MG s that Nanjing build will be a combination of UK and Chinese parts but I think it will probably knock our socks of when we see what they will build for the money.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
THE CHINESE
They will put a production line in ..get it fired up.
watch and study how we do things...the methods etc.
soon as they have learnt ...........
that factory would have served its function ............and they will take everything out again then.
and start production aproper in china !!!

I don't know why, you cant see this guys ....and what you're all getting excited over.

all the best.....mark

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Cos unless the renege in the next couple of months they have signed a 30-odd year lease on Longbridge...

Plus the already know how people like BMW and VW work....

1 - 20 of 129 Posts