MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a diesel ZS 53 reg. Twice in the last week when I come to start the car I get what can only be described as a two tone beeping noise. It seems to come from behind the radio. First time I thought it was because a CD was jammed, but it it it again today & I didn't have the front panel on the radio.

When I then turn off the ignition and restart it I don't get any beeping. I also don't have any warning lights showing onthe dash. Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
The key fob has a transponder on it. If the system doesn't get a signal it beeps at you.

You can either press the unlock buuton, or switch off and on agin and see if it gets the signal the second time.

Nothing to worry about relly.

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Agree - it's the immobiliser. Not an issue if you've got the key fob with you.

If you like that kind of bleeping choon, though, I suggest you tune the radio to "Kiss FM" and get a carp pipe!

trout pipe?

bass pipe methinks...;) :tjthedj:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Stu said:
The key fob has a transponder on it. If the system doesn't get a signal it beeps at you.

So does that mean if the battery in your key fob goes flat you wont be able to start the car?

I had this same beeping problem when I first bought the car, to the point where the car refused to start altogether. The dealer had to get the whole immobilizer system rechipped before I took delivery - wiping out his entire profit margin in the process I would suspect. It's not a cheap repair.

It still occasionally beeps at me but it tends to happen when I switch the engine off and then attempt to restart immediately.

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Pars said:
So does that mean if the battery in your key fob goes flat you wont be able to start the car?

I had this same beeping problem when I first bought the car, to the point where the car refused to start altogether. The dealer had to get the whole immobilizer system rechipped before I took delivery - wiping out his entire profit margin in the process I would suspect. It's not a cheap repair.

It still occasionally beeps at me but it tends to happen when I switch the engine off and then attempt to restart immediately.
Normally, you can reset the immobiliser just by using the key. You need the car's secret code (so note it) and you then set the code by turning the key in the steering backwards and forwards. It's in the book, I think, unless it's changed...

I did it once on the Tourer once I had reconnected the battery. It wasn't easy to do with the horn alarm going off lots...

If you think in your particular case that you have a non-standard issue I would suggest posting in the "Ask the Gurus" section...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts