MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Can I ask your opinion on something?

I have a Rover 75 which I want to keep in tip top condition for a number of years as I probably won't be able to afford another car like this one.

I do around 16k a year which 11k is going to and from work. I have the opportunity to get a second car just for work, it would be either a Fiesta or Rover 100 and they have both done about 45k.

By getting this it would mean I would only be doing about 5k per year in the 75 which would mostly be motorway driving. I only work 3 or 4 days a week at most which means the 75 would be driven the other days. She would be parked in the drive or garage the days I was working.

Apart from mileage my other concern with taking the 75 to work is that our cars have to be left unlocked with the keys in them so other employees can get there cars out of the very packed car park (parking nose to tail six deep) Obvoiusly the 75 would be better off without other people moving her around the car park which happens on an hourly basis.

I do realise it would be double car tax and insurance but this would not be a problem as long as the benefits are worth it.

What is your opinion on this? Would the 75 benefit from only doing 5k per year and obviously would being left three or four days a week in a garage be detrimental?

I just can't make up my mind which would be best and perhaps your comments may help me decide.

Cheers

Ken

G

·
Ken75 said:
Apart from mileage my other concern with taking the 75 to work is that our cars have to be left unlocked with the keys in them so other employees can get there cars out of the very packed car park (parking nose to tail six deep) Obvoiusly the 75 would be better off without other people moving her around the car park which happens on an hourly basis.
That would seal it for me. All that cold starting and shunting would be rather hard on the engine, clutch, transmission etc. and if the 75 is your pride and joy you would be well ut of it.

I would do what you plan - a small car and TPFT insurance. The lower fuel consumptio may well go some way to offsetting the other costs, plus the 75 will hold a (little) extra value because of the lower mileage accrued.

The 3 or 4 days per week of parked up time fr the 75 would do it no harm whatsoever.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a Rover 75 which I want to keep in tip top condition for a number of years as I probably won't be able to afford another car like this one.
(This is the emotive bit!)
I do around 16k a year which 11k is going to and from work. I have the opportunity to get a second car just for work, it would be either a Fiesta or Rover 100 and they have both done about 45k.
(Opportunity!)

By getting this it would mean I would only be doing about 5k per year in the 75 which would mostly be motorway driving. I only work 3 or 4 days a week at most which means the 75 would be driven the other days. She would be parked in the drive or garage the days I was working.
(Justification)

(further justication)

I do realise it would be double car tax and insurance but this would not be a problem as long as the benefits are worth it.
(The catch)

What is your opinion on this? Would the 75 benefit from only doing 5k per year and obviously would being left three or four days a week in a garage be detrimental?
(dilema)

I just can't make up my mind which would be best and perhaps your comments may help me decide.
(Are you thinking with your heart or mind?)

I think the question I would ask myself is do I want to keep the car in excellent condition for preservation reasons (keep as classic car etc.) or do I just feel passionate about the car. If your answer is the former then I would consider putting it in a garage every night (keep milage low). If your answer is the latter then I would be tempted to enjoy the car and use it, why drive a less confortable smaller car most of the time. If you just keep the 75 and you feel it is getting out of shape then buy another, which will have been garaged and will be in far better condition even if you did 5k (I assumed you never garage it) a year etc. My experience is the bodywork is the one thing you can do lots to avoid deteriation. Just Garage it when possible.

Maybe I'm just too logical. I do understand the emotive attachment I had with my first car - its all gone now........

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I got my Rover 75 in December I decided to keep my old (2000) Xantia and continue using it for work, taking the dog out, transporting mucky kids and taking stuff to the tip. I just use the Rover on the odd occasions going to work and for evenings out etc. The insurance on the Rover turned out to be cheaper than the xantia (£210.00 against £240.00 fully comp)

Living in the Isle of Man, I'm looking forward to my first trip in the Rover to England on Friday, to try out the sat Nav and the comfort of the car on a long journey.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Richard Moss said:
That would seal it for me. All that cold starting and shunting would be rather hard on the engine, clutch, transmission etc. and if the 75 is your pride and joy you would be well ut of it.

I would do what you plan - a small car and TPFT insurance. The lower fuel consumptio may well go some way to offsetting the other costs, plus the 75 will hold a (little) extra value because of the lower mileage accrued.

The 3 or 4 days per week of parked up time fr the 75 would do it no harm whatsoever.

I agree with the cold starting and shunting around being no good for the car plus I am never 100% sure who is driving it because I am hardly ever there when its moved.

I have found out how much extra the insurance would be and its very cheap at £142 for the runabout fully comp, 3rd PFT is only £7 cheaper! The extra for breakdown/recovery is £28.50 so thats fine as well.

Thanks for the reply

Ken

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PhilipE said:
(This is the emotive bit!)
(Opportunity!)

(Justification)

(further justication)

(The catch)

(dilema)

(Are you thinking with your heart or mind?)

I think the question I would ask myself is do I want to keep the car in excellent condition for preservation reasons (keep as classic car etc.) or do I just feel passionate about the car. If your answer is the former then I would consider putting it in a garage every night (keep milage low). If your answer is the latter then I would be tempted to enjoy the car and use it, why drive a less confortable smaller car most of the time. If you just keep the 75 and you feel it is getting out of shape then buy another, which will have been garaged and will be in far better condition even if you did 5k (I assumed you never garage it) a year etc. My experience is the bodywork is the one thing you can do lots to avoid deteriation. Just Garage it when possible.

Maybe I'm just too logical. I do understand the emotive attachment I had with my first car - its all gone now........
The 75 is always garaged over night and obviously still would be. Your point about why drive a less comfortable car is one of my reservations against this idea. I love the 75 and to be honest going to work in something less than her would be a reason not to go to work :)

When weighing up the pro's and con's I am tempted to give it a try for a while and everytime I decide to do it something say's its the wrong decision. Its not the money aspect so it has to be the "why drive something else when I have a 75?" aspect. I think i can only try it and see if it works out.

Thanks for your help

Ken

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
julianashcroft said:
When I got my Rover 75 in December I decided to keep my old (2000) Xantia and continue using it for work, taking the dog out, transporting mucky kids and taking stuff to the tip. I just use the Rover on the odd occasions going to work and for evenings out etc. The insurance on the Rover turned out to be cheaper than the xantia (£210.00 against £240.00 fully comp)

Living in the Isle of Man, I'm looking forward to my first trip in the Rover to England on Friday, to try out the sat Nav and the comfort of the car on a long journey.
The dog!!!! yep yet another reason!!!

She has a rear seat dog cover but the backs of the front seats still get filthy from the dog shaking itself. The rear door rests are always dirty and the rear windows are smudged with dog spit! Yep decision has been made by your dog comment. Now where is the exchange and mart?

Thanks for the help and mentioning the dog! :lol:

Ken

Have a great time over here and you won't get lost with sat nav.

·
Registered
133 Posts
How about another Rover 75.... theres one going for 3.3K on this web site recently?

I have to say whatever you chose - it will be the right choice. I'm pleased you keep it garaged because that puts all that I've said out the window.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PhilipE said:
How about another Rover 75.... theres one going for 3.3K on this web site recently?

I wish! no I am thinking of something closer to a grand. I realise I am asking a lot of a car at that price to do all the miles but they are all motorway miles so hopefully it should be ok

Ken

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Gwt yourself a really nice Rover R8 mate. Dead cheap to run in 1400cc or 1.8td form, comfy, hell of a lot better than cars of the same era :)

You should be able to get a late Rover 418td estate. Very good looking,very practical for carrying dogs and very cheap to run :)

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
red_rover said:
Gwt yourself a really nice Rover R8 mate. Dead cheap to run in 1400cc or 1.8td form, comfy, hell of a lot better than cars of the same era :)

You should be able to get a late Rover 418td estate. Very good looking,very practical for carrying dogs and very cheap to run :)
I must admit I was keeping clear of older Rovers because of the possible hg problems with them and not knowing how they had been looked after etc etc.
I never gave diesel a thought to be honest and once I read your post I started thumbing through local and on line adverts. You are right its possible to get much younger 418 diesels for a good price than it is Fiesta's etc. The size and equipment levels are far superior as well. I think perhaps I will take a much closer look than I would have done. Can you tell me what to look out for in a 418 diesel in terms of possible problems?

Thanks for the help.

Ken

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
red_rover said:

I take it yours was K49 before getting the 75?
Was that one a diesel? are all 418s diesels come to that? sorry on my lack of knowledge of 418s :eyes:

Cheers

Ken

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Hellooo

Yep, my car (that we still have :) )previous to the 75 was the 418. And on the 400 series, they were all turbo charged :) All 418s are diesels indeed :rocker:

For faults? I'm not sure really. We've had a fuel filter head changed once and erm, not much else :) I think they are ment to be very reliable engines! Also, the rest of the car is uber great, all the electrics work very well, even though the car has done 161k and is 13 years old this year!

I think you'd be best off asking in the ask the gurus forum for common faults with the Pugeot diesel unit.

Yep, the 418 Tourer is a very practical good looking car, with all the equipment you need in a second car and more! Also, nice and comfy! And you can get an 'R' reg one for about £1200 in really good nick :rocker:

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
red_rover said:
Hellooo

Yep, my car (that we still have :) )previous to the 75 was the 418. And on the 400 series, they were all turbo charged :) All 418s are diesels indeed :rocker:

For faults? I'm not sure really. We've had a fuel filter changed once and erm, not much else :) I think they are ment to be very reliable engines! Also, the rest of the car is uber great, all the electrics work very well, even though the car has done 161k and is 13 years old this year!

I think you'd be best off asking in the ask the gurus forum for common faults with the Pugeot diesel unit.

Yep, the 418 Tourer is a very practical good looking car, with all the equipment you need in a second car and more! Also, nice and comfy! And you can get an 'R' reg one for about £1200 in really good nick :rocker:

regards

Ken

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
I would definately get a banger.

Your car will not be insured if it goes missing from the company carpark as the keys would be in it. Rather not get a payout on a 100 than a 75.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stu said:
I would definately get a banger.

Your car will not be insured if it goes missing from the company carpark as the keys would be in it. Rather not get a payout on a 100 than a 75.

This has always been at the back of my mind. Good point

Thanks

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
During the week I have to drive my wife's 45 as my 75 is garaged. Teh 45 is not bad but it does make me appreciate my car even more when I get to it at weekends :)

Good luck Ken!

regards

Mike

ps are you sure this isn't just because you are too ashamed to be seen with the 75 until you get the wooden wheel fitted? If so be strong, you can cope, honestly it doesn't look that bad w'out the proper wheel, honest-trust me!

:lol:

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MikeM said:
ps are you sure this isn't just because you are too ashamed to be seen with the 75 until you get the wooden wheel fitted? If so be strong, you can cope, honestly it doesn't look that bad w'out the proper wheel, honest-trust me!

:lol:
I thought it had been quiet on these boards over the past few days.........
................back from York I see! :twak2: :lol:

No I can put up with having the leather steering wheel on my 75 after all if it goes wrong I still have my warranty to fall back on........o'h sorry Mike I forgot yours has expired hasn't it? :rotflmao:

Welcome back mate........good time?

Regards
Ken

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Hi Ken

Yes York was good but the next time a friend says 'I've found this great guest house, three stars dead comfortable and good facilities' I must remember not to believe a word he says :lol:

Just had the 4 year service done on R40, tomorrow is the insurance and then Saturday I pay the car tax :yikes: An expensive month :(

R40 is garaged all the time. I rent one in an quiet off road area 5 minutes walk from where I live. It give me peace of mind and I have stopped worrying since I found it. Prior to that I parked over the road on a village car park but thge local youth aren't too fussed about dints and dings etc. so I was glad to stop that.

Regards

Mike :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.