MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Some of you may remember I was asking for your opinions on getting a second car for reasons of parking at work being difficult. I have decided to go ahead with this and have found one, I again need your input please. :)

The car I will probably have is a Rover 1.4SLI auto, it looks like a Rover 100 am I right in thinking its 114? (sorry to be thick)

Its a 1997 on a P plate and done 52k It had HGF 4k ago and was skimmed and done with the new gasket and steel dowels. The failure was down to a coolant leak from the water pump (I think) Am I right in thinking that there is no reason why the HG should go again because of this? I know it would if there was another coolant loss but I am thinking purely of the fact that its gone in the past.

The car is 100% genuine as its one my brother has had for the past four years.

So its over to you please ...........any thoughts which may help? :idea:

Cheers :)

Ken

PS I looked at a Fiesta, Micra and Nova today what a crock of :cus:

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
as long as you check the levels weekly and pay attention to main areas it should be fine. What colour is it?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
empsburna said:
as long as you check the levels weekly and pay attention to main areas it should be fine. What colour is it?
Thats the only problem red :) never mind its a good looking motor other than it being red :)

Ken

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
red_rover said:
The 100 (especially in 1.4 guise) runs rings around its contemporary rivals. Go for it dude :) :cool:
So am I right then its a 100 but called a 114? :err:

Its going to be strange driving this to work and only driving the 75 three or four days a week but at least the 75 will be safe plus doing 11k a year less mileage. :)

Ken

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MikeM said:
Tsk tsk Ken. Not Copperleaf then? :sad2:

;)

Mike
No :rotflmao:

I am not happy leaving the 75 at home but needs must as the devil drives and the safety of the 75 comes first Mike. At least now the wife can hoover the inside while I'm at work IF I leave her the keys :)

Cheers Mike.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Hhhmmmm, can't say I agree with that.
They are terribly cramped inside.

If you crash one........you will die.
Balder-dash. So does that mean all non NCAP tested cars such as the Nissan Micra mk1, the ford fiestas up untill the previous generation, novas and such like are all death traps? Ther fact is, the metro design was from another era, and hence it didn't do well in the very modern NCAPs, when it was being tested against cars which were brand new and such like. And if you go by all old cars are death traps, I don't see any point of Ken buying a bargain banger tbh.

And as for being craped, again, its as roomy if not roomier than its contemporary rivals, the Micra mk1, the early fiestas, up to 95 and so on :)

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Ken75 said:
No :rotflmao:

I am not happy leaving the 75 at home but needs must as the devil drives and the safety of the 75 comes first Mike. At least now the wife can hoover the inside while I'm at work IF I leave her the keys :)

Cheers Mike.

Quite right Ken...........it's important that they have something useful to do while we are out bringing in the hard earned (ducks quickly to avoid flying brick)

:lol:

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
The Marmalizer said:
Hhhmmmm, can't say I agree with that.

They are terribly cramped inside.

If you crash one........you will die.
The K series 1.4 in a SuperMini such as the Metro / 100 was (and probably still is) far quicker than any rival in its class - and the 1.1 K series was not slow either.

As for being cramped, the Metro is no more cramped than any other car with a similar body size.

As stated above, the Metro has a poor NCAP rating - we all know that, but it is far from being the most unsafe car on the road, and to say "If you crash one you will die" is far from accurate. You would proabably write the car off in a low speed collision, but that would be purely because of the age of the vehicle. I would feel far safer in the Metro than in the Fiesta or Noca of the same year.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I must confess to having a bad experience in a Metro a number of years ago!

Look guys, the Metro is automobile scum. Its a death trap! :err:

Don't start F*cking flaming me. I AM A ROVER ENTHUSIAST.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Marmalizer said:
I must confess to having a bad experience in a Metro a number of years ago!

Look guys, the Metro is automobile scum. Its a death trap! :err:

Don't start F*cking flaming me. I AM A ROVER ENTHUSIAST.
If you think that was getting flamed.............I hope you never get flamed for real.

Red Rover and SFulcher were purely stating their opinion and I was stating that your post was shall we say direct and to the point.

Thanks for your input guys and I think this thread should now end. :)

Cheers

Ken

G

·
The 100 range covered 111, 114,petrol and 114/115 diesel models. The last two digits indicates engine size.

The Metro based cars don't have great crash performance - just like all other small cars designed in the 80s. However, most of those 80s cars did not live on until the late 90s!

I had an MG Metro and loved it. Think about ACTIVE safety - great ahndling and great brakes reduces the risk of getting into a crash in the first place.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Richard Moss said:
Think about ACTIVE safety - great handling and great brakes reduces the risk of getting into a crash in the first place.
Thats what Sir Alec Issigonis said about the Mini.

When there are many other safer alternatives I see no reason to resort to driving a Metro. Metro V's any modern car is only going to end in tears.

I think I've made my position clear. :=p:

·
Registered
mg_tf
71 Posts
I have to admit that recently my metro (1.4 Gta) makes me feel vunerable when driving. It's not just the possibility of crashing but just the general attitude to the car of other drivers (A lot of people will pull out in front)

Mind you this is only since I brought my newer, bigger car and started using the tro for an 80 mile round trip everyday for work. The metro is definitly better around towns, it's agile and you always feel like there is more space around you. However on a motorway it can get scary (the car runs out of legs, and the brakes ar not that responsive)

Good choice with the Rover 100, the question is will you be hooked? I should sell mine, but I really want another!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts