MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPS, I'm in need of a little help :sad3:

I checked my little f tonight, coolant and oil - you know, the usual and to my dispare I notice my coolant is looking pretty dark and its also a little greasy. Do you think that this maybe HGF again. There is no mayo or anthing, so that's ruled out. However the tappets are sounding a little noiser than the other day.

Would you think that taking the coolant tank out and cleaning it out well, then refilling it with some new coolant, run it for a few weeks and see what happens from there?

I really can't afford for my HG to go again, I'm still paying for the last one and I also handed in my notice at work today :(

Pweeeze held a little distressed lady :eek:uch:

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Happened recently? Maybe crap in the pipework from the last HGF just working it's way through and ending up in the tank. HOPEFULLY!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I really hope it isn't. When my HG went, the whole lot got so mixed up that there was still a bit of mayo in the oil after it had been sorted. Turned out ok though. Did your garage mention that it might need another oil flush later on? Mine needed to be flushed through 1000 miles after the HG was fixed.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EmmaJackman said:
I really hope it isn't. When my HG went, the whole lot got so mixed up that there was still a bit of mayo in the oil after it had been sorted. Turned out ok though. Did your garage mention that it might need another oil flush later on? Mine needed to be flushed through 1000 miles after the HG was fixed.
No, they didn't mention anything about a flush! I'll have ago myself this weekend and see if I can sort it....if after another few hundred miles it's still bad I'll pop it back in the garage.

Chris, it maybe the residue. When I got my f back the first time I checked the coolant and it did feel a little oily, but the past few weeks it just seems a little worse. Would it have taken all this time for the rubbish to get back to the coolant tank??

Thank for all ya help.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Hopefully not another HGF..
My coolant looked a bit greasy for a while, after Myrtles HGF was repaired, last year.

But if it is HGF, isn't the last repair you had done, guaranteed for a year?

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dee said:
Hopefully not another HGF..
My coolant looked a bit greasy for a while, after Myrtles HGF was repaired, last year.

But if it is HGF, isn't the last repair you had done, guaranteed for a year?
I never actually thought about the guarantee, I think I will have to look into it.

I shall let you know. Thanks for that Dee!!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I'm with Pete, get them to at least check it over. Did they get to the bottom of, and fix the cause of the last HGF? If so, what was it? If not the you should argue that they are oblged to fix it this time and not charge you for the labour (the parts would be peanuts anyway if it is the gasket or a dodgy pipe or something).

Whatever I would get them to have a look and maybe pressure test the system.

HTH, and fingers crossed for you mate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts