MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a Rover 620 Diesel before the summer, and I'm just wondering how easy it would be to make it into an MG, I know the suspension and such will be a fairly simple case of stiffer springs, Koni shocks etc, but in terms of body kits, grills and spoilers, what can be done ?

Also, is there any difference between the anti roll bars and such used on the 620ti and the standard 620 SDi or GSDi ?

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,679 Posts
Yes. Drill some holes in the roof so it leaks, drain the oil out the engine so it rattles and is reluctant to start. Don't drain the diesel filter so it's slow. Get half a dozen old tyres and screw them to the bumpers. Buy a cheap tweed suit from a charidee shop and use it to make ill fitting seat covers. Do all this and your neaighbours will swear blind you have an MGB...

Seriously though, there was never a Z series MG based on the 600 so I don't know what MG you'd hope to emulate.

DD

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Diesel Dick said:
Yes. Drill some holes in the roof so it leaks, drain the oil out the engine so it rattles and is reluctant to start. Don't drain the diesel filter so it's slow. Get half a dozen old tyres and screw them to the bumpers. Buy a cheap tweed suit from a charidee shop and use it to make ill fitting seat covers. Do all this and your neaighbours will swear blind you have an MGB...

Seriously though, there was never a Z series MG based on the 600 so I don't know what MG you'd hope to emulate.

DD
LOL

Kind of wanted it to look similair to the ZT.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,679 Posts
I'm sure a ZT spoiler would go without too much ado. Lower it, fit some Z car rims, nice sill kit, splitter (all colour coded), de chrome and slip on an MG badge and you're on your way. Some ZS seats would go but it'd be a subframe welding job with the rear bench requiring re covering to match. Do it properly and it'd make an interesting and tasty project.

G

·
Diesel Dick said:
I'm sure a ZT spoiler would go without too much ado. Lower it, fit some Z car rims, nice sill kit, splitter (all colour coded), de chrome and slip on an MG badge and you're on your way. Some ZS seats would go but it'd be a subframe welding job with the rear bench requiring re covering to match. Do it properly and it'd make an interesting and tasty project.
That should pretty much cover it.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Diesel Dick said:
Eek, can't use ZT rims as they're for 5 stud hubs, and I've read (dunno if it's true) that the 400/45/ZS rims don't fit either the 600 or 800, so might have to go for a set of 800 Vitesse alloys, or 600ti alloys instead.

Springs and shocks, along with a beefier anti-roll bar from the ti (if such a thing exists, Bilsteins' website rather useless) will do the trick height and ride wise, I think there's Honda Accord which came out with a bodykit, hopefully that'll fit, probably go for ti seats again, save all the hastle of doing the welding, didn't the ti come with half leather Recaros' anyway ?

With a bit of luck, I might be able to make a ZS or ZT grill fit, though might need a bit of tinkering.

Yeah, should be a good summer project, though I'm tempted to take the easy way out and just make it look identical to the ti.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts