MG-Rover.org Forums banner

turbo

998 views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Si 
#1 ·
does anyone know where u can get a turbo for a rover 200 1997

#4 ·
Simply put, turbo'ing the K series is going to cost you £3k plus. Is this within your budget?

What Engine do you have? 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, VVC?

So many variables to consider.

Just asking can you turbo a 200 show a distinct lack of any research.

#15 ·
T series conversion will cost £3k minimum for it to be done right. then there's your tax bracket, you'll be paying £90 for 6 months on that, your insurance will go up by 12 catagories to make is ins Grp 17, meaning if you're below 20, you're going to get a bill for around £2k for insurance (3rd party)

To get a K series turbo and to make it reliable and have some good bhp, its going to cost much more than £3k.
Steve

#16 ·
Steve220 said:
T series conversion will cost £3k minimum for it to be done right. then there's your tax bracket, you'll be paying £90 for 6 months on that, your insurance will go up by 12 catagories to make is ins Grp 17, meaning if you're below 20, you're going to get a bill for around £2k for insurance (3rd party)

To get a K series turbo and to make it reliable and have some good bhp, its going to cost much more than £3k.
Steve

Very true as i found out, but my insurance group is still the same but my car is classed as heavily modded. But different compnaies do it different ways.

PM RSM for more information on a T16 turbo conversion.

Sie

#17 ·
Steve220 said:
then there's your tax bracket, you'll be paying £90 for 6 months on that
I dont understand this. Its about the 5th time ive read it from different people.

If you have 3k sitting around for a conversion, and an extra grand for the insurance...so not much change from 4k sitting around, the last thing on my mind would be the bloomin tax bracket!?

Thats like saying dont buy that 200grand house, it needs a new front door?

:wtf:

#18 ·
michaelperrin said:
I dont understand this. Its about the 5th time ive read it from different people.

If you have 3k sitting around for a conversion, and an extra grand for the insurance...so not much change from 4k sitting around, the last thing on my mind would be the bloomin tax bracket!?

Thats like saying dont buy that 200grand house, it needs a new front door?

:wtf:
hehe good point :lol:

turbo'ing the K aint really a good idea tbh, they aint the strongest of engines unless you get a 1.8T froma 75 and maybe up the boost a little but the most your going to be looking at is 180bhp.

as mentioned above i personally think that the VVC is the best K series engine (not biassed at all :p) because it has the reliability, plus i often get 45+mpg on long jurneys aswell as arrounf 30mpg arround the doors, and there aint no tubo lag either ;) altho you do tend to have to keep them above 4k :wtf:.

but for all out power in a streight line the T series is the boy for the job, there great engines but they are heavy and do mess up the handling a bit but that can be easilly sorted with some decent shockers.

and just another point to add, yours is a 1.4???, your DEFINATLY going to need bigger brakes, the 282mm setup from a zs180 should surfice but keep in mind that the disc's are nearly £100 a set.

just a few things to keep in mind ;)

simon :beer:

#19 ·
toyed with the idea myself, then bought a minter VI expertly converted to a ZR 160 leather interior et all, for errrrr the same price as a turbo conversion minus the insurance and 200 miles to a tank of petrol, and big old iron lump plus lovely rev happy alluminium engine. just not as quick in a straight line

#20 ·
I dunno guys, The K ive read in other places that as long as you do it right the K can take a bit. New pistons, rods, and a good racing type head gasket seems to be the items of choice, as well as better liners. You coouulld also get the billet Crack from PTP to top it off. It all goes to how much you can spend and if you love your K ^_^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.