MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
***********!!!!!

Just called the Garage and the car is dead, needs new engine as the turbo went, the head gasket went and the big end or something like that. Been quoted about £3k all new parts but does anyone know of anywhere to get second hand engines and turbo's?????

:( not a happy bunny :(

·
Registered
rover_600
660 Posts
you can get a hybrid from a member on here if you use the search button you will see!

sory to tell ya mate but think the engine is dead! mine done this last week (piston rings went) i cant understand y your car did it tho very litle mile, mines was 115k and only happend because sucked up water and fill cylinders bout 6 months back!

cheers

star

·
Registered
rover_600
660 Posts
***********!!!!!

Just called the Garage and the car is dead, needs new engine as the turbo went, the head gasket went and the big end or something like that. Been quoted about £3k all new parts but does anyone know of anywhere to get second hand engines and turbo's?????

:( not a happy bunny :(
you should be able to get one from scrapy! i picd one up on sat for £90 90k on it tho! im sure you could get one with less mile for 3-400!

cheers

star

·
Registered
mg_zr
48 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me with my Mg ZR tdi that was also on a 52 plate although i had 105000 miles on the engine. The engine had head gasket failur at 80000 miles that was repaired but started to loose coolant slowly again at about 100000 miles . The water loss was not that big so decided to live with it, which was a mistake. After the turbo went bang it fed all the oil into engine this was at 80mph on a motorway. The smoke was unreal and i couldn't turn engine off so had to stall it. After a garage examined the engine they said it was knackered as it had burnt all the oil and partially seized and was not worth fixing. Managed to get a engine from a crashed Zr 53 plate with only 29000 miles on it for £300.00 and its runing fine.
The thing is, the garaged said that due to the water loss the water had been mixing with oil which was watering the oil down and that was what caused the turbo to fail as it was not getting properley lubricated. So be warned if your car is using water get it sorted.

·
Registered
mg_zr
48 Posts
I think it was about £280.00 to get it fitted. It was done in a day.
Also got new cam belt fitted just to be on the safe side before engine was fitted.

·
Registered
mg_zr
48 Posts
You here everyone say that the L serires is bomb proof but i have had two engines that have had head gasket failure. The first was a brand new ZR with only 800 miles on the clock and the second at 80000 miles. Just hope this one is more reliable.

·
Registered
rover_600
660 Posts
I think it was about £280.00 to get it fitted. It was done in a day.
Also got new cam belt fitted just to be on the safe side before engine was fitted.
is that not quite dear? or have i been charge quit cheap for mine he said around £120?

cheers

star

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
The L series is almost bomb proof. Headgaskets do occasionally go but more through neglect and bad luck than anything else. It certainly isn't a common problem.

·
Registered
mg_zr
48 Posts
That sounds a very good price to me as i said i also got cam belt and pump belts changed.Also new oil and filters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats interesting mine was a bit higher than that, was that for cash or cosher with invoice and vat etc?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The L series is almost bomb proof. Headgaskets do occasionally go but more through neglect and bad luck than anything else. It certainly isn't a common problem.
I'm guessing that mine comes under bad luck then because mine was certainly never neglected, unless the mecanhics were lying to me:eyes:

·
Registered
mg_zr
48 Posts
My cars were never neglected how can you neglect a brand new car with only 800 miles and not even taken over 60mph.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
My cars were never neglected how can you neglect a brand new car with only 800 miles and not even taken over 60mph.
I'm guessing that was a manufacturing problem, e.g. a gasket/head defect or simply someone not torqueing the head up properly when it was built.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I'm guessing that mine comes under bad luck then because mine was certainly never neglected, unless the mecanhics were lying to me:eyes:
I don't think theres ever been an engine made thats completely 100% reliable when it comes to head gaskets, unless its one of these, but thats a cheat cause it aint got no heads!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB5UHVgDU5M
Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts